Talk

Advanced search

Cosleeping and no napping during the day

(7 Posts)
Terezia Wed 25-Nov-15 11:17:25

Hello everybody,
Maybe somebody can help. I have got 5 months old girl. She is fully brestfed and putting weight perfectly. She is amazing and I love her to bits. But we have got really big problem with her sleeping.
She is coosleeping from the 2 day. i took her to bed as I didnt sleep for 3 days and I was desperate for few hours sleep. She doesnt nap during the day as long as she is not fed to sleep or carried in carrier. We tried bouncer, swing, rock her to sleep and then put her down but it doesnt work with her.
I am going back to work in february and we will be swapping with my husband so i really need her to make her sleep in her cot as he is not as patient as i am.
We were thinking to try sleeping training but i have no idea how to do it. Maybe somebody has got experience with it and can give me some advice how to do it as gentle as possible.
Thank you for any help.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 25-Nov-15 11:21:35

Hi Teresia, congratulations on your DD. Please try to bear in mind that DD will change a lot in the next 3 months, so napping during the day is not necessarily something you have to 'train' her to do right now.

Is there any reason why your DH can't use sling?

Terezia Wed 25-Nov-15 11:38:29

He is wearing it when we are going for a walk but he wont do it in the house.all his friends kids are sleeping in theirs bed so he thinks that i am spoiling her when i am carrying her and wont let her cry. Cant decide if it is true or not but it hurts to hear her cry.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 25-Nov-15 21:43:34

You can't spoil a baby with cuddles, honestly. She is very little smile

Lilipot15 Wed 25-Nov-15 22:29:06

Aw, she is not being spoilt with what you are doing. You are doing what she needs and wants at the moment.

Could he take her for a short walk in her buggy and bring her back in asleep? Then he could get on with stuff without having to carry her. I have never mastered wearing a sling in the house, I find it too limiting for what I need to do and would rather just accept that I lie down with the baby or she lies on my knee as I watch TV.

FATEdestiny Wed 25-Nov-15 22:35:14

Hi Terezia

The first thing to do is to set your expectations at a realistic level. There are lots of gentle sleep training methods out there - look up the Pantly Pull Off and Sarah Octwell-Smith (I think that's her name).

However, gentle methods that will involve no crying will take a long time. This is not an over-night answer. It is about making teeny, tiny changes that cause no distress to baby and very, very slowly and gradually moving towards the outcome you want - baby falling asleep alone in the cot. Be realistic though, no crying methods of achieving this will take months - several months. It could be a good year of tiny changes to teach baby this way. This is the way of gentle methods.

However, there is a whole world of options in between gentle no-cry sleep training and Cry It Out type methods. It need not be black and white.

There are sleep training methods like Gradual Withdrawal for example. These will involve your baby being upset (because you are not holding her to sleep) but you stay with her - reassuring, patting, loving her, being there for her, being kind and understanding of her upset. But seeing the bigger picture and aiming towards teaching her to sleep independently.

Again this will not be quick. It needs time and consistency to work.

A good idea for you might be a bedside cot. Remove one side of a full sized cot and butt it up to your bed. It becomes and extension of your bed then and aids the transition to cot sleeping.

daisydalrymple Wed 25-Nov-15 22:50:55

Hi I still cosleep with dc3 he's 13mo. He naps in his pram in the day in the kitchen. He too would feed to sleep quite happily, but not go in his basket/cot. He would happily drop off in the carrier / pram or car seat though.

So once I'd got to the stage where his nap times were fairly predictable (I did a lot of walking!), I started a proper nap routine. Feed to make sure his tummy is full, but making sure he doesn't drop off, then nappy change, lullaby music on in kitchen, then pop him in the pram and push back and forth for a few minutes. If your dc has a special teddy or comfort blanket that might help. Ds goes to sleep clutching a little hairbrush in each hand grin totally outing myself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now