Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else have a mega-sleeping toddler?

(9 Posts)
dodi1978 Mon 23-Nov-15 21:18:35

DS, 28 months, has always been a good sleeper. Recently, it has got ridiculous though in that, at nursery, he sometimes sleeps from after lunch (12) to three o clock and longer. By the way, they sleep in the same room in which they play, so there is ten toddlers already shouting and jumping around him ... staff have learned to tuck him into a corner of the room.

At night, he usually sleeps from about 8 pm to 6.30 ... longer at the weekend as he loves a lie in. Weekend naps can be a bit more hit and miss - when he nap though, it is not under two hours.

Does anyone else have one of those? Did they grow out of it? I like his rather relaxed attitude to life, but he will start reception when he has just turned four and am wondering whether schools will accommodate kids who still need to nap...

Artandco Mon 23-Nov-15 21:34:14

He's only sleeping 13 ish hrs a day (10 at night, and 3 in the day). That's perfectly average for a 2 year old

At 2 mine would sleep 9pm-9am, plus nap 2-3 hrs in the afternoon, so 14-15 hrs a day

MigGril Mon 23-Nov-15 21:43:21

DS still had a 2 hour afternoon nap at 3 years, I was worried he'd be starting afternoon nursery still napping. But lucky he dropped it just before he started at almost 4. At 2 he still had a morning and afternoon nap and slept all night with one wakeup for a cuddle. Was a bit of a shock after DD who dropped her daytime nap at 18months.

He will still drop off now after school if really tired on the sofa for a nap. He's just turned 5.

SunnyL Mon 23-Nov-15 21:52:56

Yup my 2.5 year old is a mega napper in comparison to other kids her age. Her night time sleep is about the same as other toddlers but her afternoon nap can be a monster if I let her. Its now at the point that I wake her at 2 hours she'll put the duvet over her head and refuses to move for up to another 45 mins

dodi1978 Mon 23-Nov-15 22:23:36

Ok, maybe you're right, he isn't actually sleeping that long! I am just amazed at his ability to sleep through a tornado of kids dancing around him in the afternoon...
I know the duvet over head thing from trying to wake him in the morning on a weekday! If he doesn't wake up by himself, he can be very, very grumpy at breakfast smile.

sparklesnpearls Tue 24-Nov-15 17:58:02

My DS is 3 in January and has always loved his sleep, from six weeks he's slept through. He just started on afternoons at nursery and so his nap has been given up. He goes to bed at 7.30 n sleeps til 8.30 now!

He used to go a full day at nursery n napped for 2 hours sometimes.

They say brainy kids sleep loads as there brain is more active. grin

Lilipot15 Tue 24-Nov-15 19:11:52

Couldn't he go to bed earlier than 8pm? Guess it depends on family life.
But as someone else said, he's getting about the right about over the whole 24 hours - just seems like you're paying for a very long nursery sleep!!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Tue 24-Nov-15 19:17:14

Agree that's not out of the ordinary. Mine sleeps 7.30pm- 6.30am then naps 2 hours at lunchtime. I know a 2 year old who goes to bed at 5pm and wakes at 8am!

Jw35 Tue 24-Nov-15 19:40:24

My eldest was like this, I had to wake her from naps even age 3. She still had the odd nap up to age 5!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now