Talk

Advanced search

Please help me

(7 Posts)
PebbleTTC Sat 21-Nov-15 16:21:59

Please tell me what to do.

My little fella just turned 4 months old and has been using dummy. He will only fall asleep with it and wakes up looking for it as well as waking up to feed. He is EBF.

On Thursday I decided to stop giving the dummy and I put him down to sleep, he cried and cried, I went in patted him etc, did it again and again and after 3 goes he fell asleep without dummy. I did the same next nap and same for night time.

Friday was the same but afternoon nap he woke after 5 mins and I fed him and he fell asleep against my chest for about 1 hour.

Last night I had to go out so my husband gave him expressed milk and couldn't settle him, hysterical crying, eventually fell asleep when he took him for a walk at 9 pm - baby normally sleep around 8.

He slept fine during the night, woke for his normal feeds and went straight to sleep without dummy. This morning then at 8am he wouldn't go back to sleep, kept crying did the patting shushing etc nothing worked. (he normally sleeps until about 9.30 with waking to feed every 3-4 hours).

He slept for 3 hours from about 11am until 2 (normally would only have short naps due to long sleep at night) and now is very tired and he won't sleep.

Please tell me what to do, I don't want to give dummy but I'm so upset because he is upset. I don't want him to fall asleep on me as I think that will cause other problems.

I feel awful, my job as mammy is to make him feel good and it's killing me that he is crying for dummy /comfort

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Sat 21-Nov-15 16:28:32

Cuddle, comfort and offer the breast or dummy as needed. He's too young to do anything else.

PebbleTTC Sat 21-Nov-15 16:32:20

Should I keep picking him up or wait 5 minutes and then pick up each time?

Queendedede Sat 21-Nov-15 16:33:18

Why are you making life difficult for you and your baby? If you have found something that comforts him to sleep then give him it! In a few months he will be able to put the dummy in himself. Just give him the dummy back.

CityDweller Sat 21-Nov-15 16:40:15

Give him the dummy. Cuddle him to sleep. Do whatever it takes and don't worry about it. 4 months is a notoriously bad age for sleep (Google 4 month sleep regression).

Your baby is still quite tiny - only been in the world for 4 months! Do what it takes to maximise sleep and then worry about 'sleep training' (if you so wish) in a few months

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Sat 21-Nov-15 16:41:16

Just pick up, don't make him wait, he won't understand why, don't let him cry if you are able to calm him.

PebbleTTC Sat 21-Nov-15 19:02:58

I was trying to get rid of dummy because he wakes so much looking for it.

I gave in and gave it back to him and he settled straight away so we are back with dummy!

Thank you all for the responses

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now