Talk

Advanced search

Prolong morning nap to prevent EMW??

(5 Posts)
Lacey2015 Thu 19-Nov-15 09:47:31

My 7 month dd has started waking at 530. She doesn't seem starving and is well established on solids. She currently has about 1-1.5 morning nap around 830-845 and a 1.5 hour nap around 1230 then a short cat nap at 4pm for 15mins or so. Would prolonging and shortening her morning nap help prevent an EMW? I have extended it to 845 from 8am however she appears quite tired all day!! Any ideas anyone? Thanks!!

FATEdestiny Thu 19-Nov-15 21:08:11

What time is she going to bed and is she waking in the night?

The timing of the morning nap is a chicken and egg scenario. When you have got her staying in bed later in the morning, her morning nap will naturally move later as well. While she is waking very early in the morning, she is bound to be tired and ready for morning nap earlier. It's hard to know which is affecting which and which to tackle first.

I'd look at your afternoons and evenings. Aim for a bedtime of between 7-8pm. This means that going from 2pm through to bedtime with only a 15 minute catnap would be really hard work. I would aim for either making the lunchtime nap wake-up time later or allowing a longer catnap at teatime to get her through to bedtime.

At 7 months old my DD was having two 2h naps, plus a 45 minute teatime catnap, she was still sometimes waking in the night at that time though, so was not getting a full nights sleep. That changed to two 1.5-2h naps once she was sleeping 11 at night and then more recently (she is now 14 months) one 3-3.5h nap and 12h at night.

Lacey2015 Thu 19-Nov-15 21:52:04

She sleeps 630/7 to 530 and on occasions 6. She's slept through the night for a while now but the EMW has crept to 520 sometimes instead of 615 she used to wake. Should I let her have a longer CN then? To get the afternoon nap later would I have to get her morning nap later? How long can they go from nap to bedtime is it about 2.5 hours? Im worried as I don't want to make her overtired! Thanks!

gemsie23 Fri 20-Nov-15 13:42:01

We have an EMW too! I think if you are getting 11 hours at night by going to bed at 6:30 that's really good! The last 2 nights we have moved from 7:45 asleep (as it happened accidentally the last few nights) when she wld sleep til between 6-6:30 to 7:25pm asleep last two nights as it used to be but she has woken at 5 & 4:45 so now I'm so confused what to do! She doesn't sleep past 4:30pm and tends to just hav 2 naps these days. She slept 2hrs 15 this morn!

Lacey2015 Sat 21-Nov-15 12:42:02

I don't want to jinx things but she slept till 715 today and yesterday 😀 I haven't been putting her down for a morning nap until 9 then she sleeps till 10 and has a 2 hour nap at 1230 and 20-30 mins at 430. I think she has been overtired before bed so then goes into a deep sleep??? Things may change so im enjoying it whilst I can lol!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now