Talk

Advanced search

help with 4mo

(5 Posts)
waitingforsomething Thu 19-Nov-15 08:37:27

DS is 18 weeks. He sleeps well most nights from 7 until 3 or 4am when he wakes to feed. I bottle feed him and he takes around 6-7oz. I then burp him and change his nappy and put him back to bed when he goes back to sleep. Trouble starts about 4.15/4.30am when he wakes again and fusses and moans for ages - ive tried patting which is fine when I'm in there but he cries as soon as I stop. I've tried feeding again but he isn't hungry, ivd tried cuddles, water incase it's just thirst, bought him into our bed but he just wakes up properly. I don't think he's cold as he's in grobag, long sleeve best and babygro but I did add a blanket just incase.Today I didn't get him back to sleep until 6am after another feed and DD gets up about 6.30. Any ideas why he could be so unsettled and what I could do? I don't mind getting up to feed him but the early morning fussing is frustrating for both of us

SparklyTinselTits Thu 19-Nov-15 08:47:00

Bless you!! flowers
4 months is notorious for sleep issues! My DD did the same thing around this age...but then it stopped just as quickly as it started. I read somewhere that it's something to do with their brain shifting from newborn sleep patterns into more adult sleep patterns, and they don't really know how to handle it at first! But he will snap out of it smile We found that this was the time that DD started learning to self-soothe at night too - didn't have to do any hardcore sleep training, just stuck with the rubbing of her back, and gradually reduced the time I spent in her room after her feed. I can't really give you any magic quick fixes that worked for us, because I don't have any! We just did what you are doing, shhh-pat and ride it out.
I promise you it will end!
flowers

waitingforsomething Thu 19-Nov-15 08:53:21

Thanks Sparkly. It sucks badly. I have heard of a 4 month regression but DD never did it. I wonder if perhaps he's starting to teeth, she was very early and already had 4 teeth by his age so I wouldn't be surprised if they're on the way. It's impossible to know. He's already good at self-settling at bedtime

SparklyTinselTits Thu 19-Nov-15 09:34:37

Well that's a good sign in itself that he's good at settling himself already smile
Not that I'm wishing your boy to be in pain....but hopefully it is just teeth! Then at least it's something you can help with smile

waitingforsomething Thu 19-Nov-15 10:44:08

I truly hope so. I'm a terrible sleeper myself so by the time I drifted off after his feed he was awake again so been awake since 2.50am! Nothing lasts forever...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now