Talk

Advanced search

Is this normal for a 5 month old?

(6 Posts)
starfish12 Tue 17-Nov-15 07:03:44

DS2 is a nightmare! Goes down at 7pm (self settles usually via thumb sucking) then wakes every 2 hrs till 3am and every hr after that. Sometimes our day starts at 4 other times 530... but never 6 or 7am. The only way to get him back to sleep is to boob him... it's like he forgets about his thumb in the middle of the night.

Naps are done in the carrier too as if I put him down awake he just rolls over and over and thrashes around... he won't be lulled into a sleepy state. I managed to transfer him from the carrier to cot yesterday so had a minor victory (but he only lasted 30 mins).

I've been hanging out on the 4 month regression thread but at 22 weeks I thought we would have graduated by now!

My question is - is this normal and wtf should I be doing? Just ride it out in the hope it will change? It feels like he just hasnt learnt how to drift back to sleep if he stirs... in which case is there really anything I can do?

Sorry for the ramble - so tired and confused right now!

caravanista13 Tue 17-Nov-15 07:47:50

Not much help to you, but it sounds fairly typical. I think the secret is accepting and expecting him to do this - hard as that is - rather than hoping he will be different and feeling frustrated that he isn't.

rudolphistheboss Tue 17-Nov-15 08:23:16

It's normal in my house but my ds is 13 months old! I've tried everything. The HV has no more suggestions. I've decided he just doesn't need as much sleep as most people. He's been walking since 8 months and is now running, jumping and climbing confidently so i think he is just too busy for sleep!

saranga Tue 17-Nov-15 08:56:56

Following because i think we might end up in the same position.

Gracey79 Tue 17-Nov-15 12:23:50

I had this at 5m, used to do 7-11 and then every 2 hours then the gaps got shorter and shorter sad it did seem to get better about 6.5m. My ds did get 4 teeth around then too!

Purpleboa Wed 18-Nov-15 01:52:52

As you know, we're in the same (miserable) boat! My DD's sleep is just one long regression. After a few nights of good sleep, we're back to square one. Tonight she's been awake since 11pm. Screams when I put her down. My back is about to break from all the rocking. I got so angry with her. Usual story really!

I don't think this is normal. Yes, I'd expect a few wakings but not as much as we're getting. DH keeps telling me to call the HV but I seriously doubt she can help.

Making matters worse, I have a meet with my boss tomorrow to discuss my return to work and negotiate part time hours. I want to appear competent and interested in everything that's been going on. Instead, I'm going to be a incoherent unkempt mess, she'll probably change her mind about even letting me back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now