Talk

Advanced search

Gradual retreat/ sleep training

(1 Post)
Peekaboosophie Mon 16-Nov-15 18:40:43

Can anyone help?

My DS is 8 months. For the last 2 months he's been co sleeping because he won't go in his cot (in own room) it started because he was unwell and would only sleep on me- if he moved an inch he'd wake up screaming. We both work full
Time and are going to struggle with disturbed night (as anyone does, but my job requires precision which I find goes when I'm very tired)

So. Here are are. We have tried:
Leaving him to scream. After 8 minutes he started banging his head against the end of the cot. I don't mind leaving him to cry but that's obviously not safe

Gradual retreat- I'm not sure I'm doing this right. I lay next to him holding his hand whilst he wailed, screamed and puked for 1.5 hours. He wasn't showing any signs of slowing down and I gave in.

I can't really shhh pat as he lays on his back thrashing around.

In terms of a routine for nighttime we could be better at this but not sure where to start- at the moment he comes to bed with us about 9. He does fall asleep easily when cuddled and sleeps all night. Before the illness he was sleeping through in his cot. So it's totally all our fault and he is able to do it. However he's never had a 7.30 bedtime or anything.

Any advice gratefully received!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now