Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Worst night sleep yet

(9 Posts)
lilac3033 Sun 15-Nov-15 09:44:37

DD (6m) isn't the worst sleeper but she isn't the best either. On Wednesday night we decided to let her cry, as she was far too used to being picked up and falling back asleep in my arms. She cried for an hour and 45 minutes. DP and I were in the room the whole time verbally soothing her and occasionally stroking her. After that she seemed SO much better. Naps have been longer and she has had fewer night wakings. Until last night.
She was overtired from the day and woke up a couple times in the first 2 hours then was fine. She woke up at 1115 for a feed then back to sleep. Then from 1am she was up squealing pretty much every 20-30 minutes. She would usually self settle but was being VERY noisy about it. This went on until 530. I fed her again and we gave her some Calpol, in case it was her teeth. She didn't fall asleep again until 645. Up at 845.
I am totally wrecked with a head cold but she doesn't seem congested at all. I am also not convinced it is her teeth, as she hasn't been showing more signs of teething lately. Do I just write it off as one of those nights? I just assume if she feels unwell it would be a constant awake, not back and forth all night!

lilac3033 Sun 15-Nov-15 11:19:52

And it continues. Her first nap lasted 10 whole minutes and she has been screaming for over 30 minutes. I have NO idea what is going on but it is very unlike her. She's been sleeping 40 minutes up to an hour 20 for weeks now at naptimes.

Gracey79 Sun 15-Nov-15 11:22:55

Someone who knows more will be along soon but I remember reading that they often regress after a few nights when sleep training.

Ocelotsmama Sun 15-Nov-15 11:54:04

Hi lilac3033, I'm so sorry I have no advice. I've just posted my own tale of sleeplessness. But flowers , it must be particularly horrible with a cold. I have to say it sounds to me like you have a pretty well adjusted baby managing to settle herself eventually like that but maybe she is just being pretty annoyed about it? Both things to be proud of I think (a strong willed but confident little one). Do you think she was just protesting a change of routine? If so it wouldn't make going through it any easier but would make it not something to worry about at least and you could just persist with what you are doing.
I really need to start to let my little one cry a bit but it is so hard isn't in, and I guess I am avoiding that battle of wills and the less sleep it will mean for me (though less sleep probably isn't possible right now.)

lilac3033 Sun 15-Nov-15 12:05:40

She is definitely strong willed! I do believe some of it is battling against the change but it is just weird after having accepted it for a few nights. I really never wanted to let her cry and I haven't done standard controlled crying, as I am always in the room. I just stay out of sight, except that first night when I was next to her cot in our bed. I just keep the kindle in the room and read, it makes it that bit easier to tune out the crying. I still think it was the right thing to do. She was sleeping hours more everyday and was a happier baby. I hope it's just a blip. We had to abandon her nap after 50 minutes of screaming but she is clearly exhausted.

Ocelotsmama Sun 15-Nov-15 12:28:36

If what your doing has made her happier then it has to be the right thing for you both. I suppose the aim - which ever way you get there - is for her to feel that she is utterly safe when she is put down. Your daughter must know everything is ok really or she would have protested sooner. I think I tried something similar a while ago to get her to nap not on my breast. I stayed in the room and let her know I was there by making soothing noises but tried to avoid eye contact because then she definitely knows she can make me pick her up. I wasn't consistent though and discovered it was much easier to stick her in the pram and go for a walk (which DH is doing as I type). I wish I had done the hard work earlier and think perhaps I should try again. The kindle is a good tip. Reading is beyond my mental capacity at the mo but I can look at instagram!

lilac3033 Sun 15-Nov-15 12:40:40

I know what you mean about consistency. DP got DD up from her nap, I probably would have let her carry on. We are both exhausted after last night. Our spare room is in the process of becoming her nursery so no spare bed just now. DP took her out for some errands in the car, so hopefully she will sleep there, but I am not so sure that was the right thing to do. I refused to do anything other than the really gentle sleep training methods until now (Ie very gradual changes to her routine). I know she is still young but I think the time is right now!

Ocelotsmama Mon 16-Nov-15 13:45:20

How did it go last night lilac3033? We finally got some sleep! Think it might be time for us to start sleep training too. Just need a spare hour to read up on it!

lilac3033 Mon 16-Nov-15 14:10:14

Much better! To be honest I think she had wind or was constipated. She was grumpy all day then had two poos in the evening and was a whole knew baby! I spoke to the HV as well who made me feel a bit better, as in I am not rushing things or doing this sort of sleep training too early. Glad you got some sleep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now