Talk

Advanced search

Formula feeding at night

(12 Posts)
Lilipot15 Fri 13-Nov-15 21:11:39

I won't go into the reasons why I am thinking of this as I'm on another thread but just wanted advice about practicalities of doing a bottle at night.
I'm thinking of taking up relatives on their offer for me to stay with my baby and they do at least one feed overnight and have her in their room.
Baby will take a bottle of ready made formula but it has to be warm. My question is this - (and obviously folks will do different things but I am so tired I am wondering if I'm missing something really obvious)....do you leave the baby crying in their cot whilst you go and heat the bottle or do you take the baby with you? Mine gets very excited when she sees the bottle being prepped so I can imagine she may wake up more and be even trickier to settle. She is used to sleeping beside me in a sleepyhead and oftentimes next to me latched on for what feels like hours.
I probably won't even be able to do it, may just go and stay for a break anyway and forget the night feed offers.

GreenRug Fri 13-Nov-15 21:15:42

Depending on how warm it needs to be you could try the cartons. They're not warm but they are room temperature so not startlingly cold. My dd took no notice at all of the change when I started to use those over night.

FreeButtonBee Fri 13-Nov-15 21:16:25

To be honest, I'd be blunt with the relatives and tell them that they will have to deal with the results of the bottle too ie an excited baby who may take some time to settle Possibly you could use a carton and a flask in the bedroom to minimise the excitement. Any chance one person could hold the baby and another do the bottle downstairs?

Good luck. Sleep deprivation is horrific (j had bad sleeping breastfed twins) - do whatever you feel you need to get enough to sleep to feel alive and happy to care for your baby.

Lilipot15 Fri 13-Nov-15 21:27:30

Thanks. She does take the ready made cartons (presently only on one bottle a day so I feel I can justify the expense).
When you say a carton and flask, do you mean a flask of hot water to put the bottle in to warm up?
I guess I could just try her bottle at room temperature myself anyway and get her used to it. I haven't paid much attention to babies being fed at groups but I haven't noticed bottle feeding mums faffing around too much before feeds so maybe they are doing room temp? Or is there a trick I don't know about?!

BumWad Fri 13-Nov-15 21:29:22

Have a look at the tommee tippee bottle warmer it's less than a tenner and it's the flask and container in one.

Lilipot15 Fri 13-Nov-15 21:33:25

Thanks, will look at that. Off to bed now to sleep whilst she is sleeping!

Erimemushinteperem Fri 13-Nov-15 21:38:23

Mine would have cartons at room temp so v quick.

Erimemushinteperem Fri 13-Nov-15 21:38:49

Or just with 30 seconds in microwace( then shaken to get of hot spots)

HeiressesGiltnor Fri 13-Nov-15 21:42:02

We used to make DS's bottle really quickly as soon as he stirred. It didn't take long.

For a 7oz bottle, we would have the formula pre measured and 4oz of cooled boiled water in container. We would also have a thermos with boiled water in it. The thermos kept the water +70 degrees for just over 9 hours. (We checked).

So in the middle of the night we'd do 3oz of the boiled water, quickly add formula, mix to dissolve and then add the 4oz of cooled water. It took barely any time at all. Formula was a perfect temp and adequately made as the hot water sterilised the powder properly.

You could also buy a machine to do this for you :-) I would if I were bottle feeding from scratch next time. I think it's called a perfect prep.

Caterina99 Sat 14-Nov-15 05:00:01

I just leave DS to cry while I make his bottle. It doesn't take very long, but also he's in his own room and my DH doesn't wake when he cries, so he's not disturbing anyone. I couldn't physically prepare a bottle and hold him anyway.

Euripidesralph Sat 14-Nov-15 05:17:52

We used to use a travel warmer in the bedroom at night with ds1 it's like a flask with a thing to submerge the bottle in, it was tommee tippee ,it was fast safe could be kept by the bed as it was sealed and I could cuddle ds whilst it took the few seconds to warm up

Hope that helps

Lilipot15 Sat 14-Nov-15 09:40:25

Thanks - will look into it. Looking at options to get me a bit more sleep and feel a bit more human again! I know it's temporary and will pass though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now