Talk

Advanced search

21month old sleep habit

(17 Posts)
littleraysofsunshine Thu 12-Nov-15 06:48:57

He usually sleeps from 7-6. Now he is in the habit of waking and not going back off unless in our bed and will wake up anywhere from 4:30-5:30 every day.

We tried co sleeping and their own beds with all three and when it didn't work we resorted back. We only let them in if its going to help but it doesn't seem to. He will not go back to sleep and will just talk or shout and wake the others up.

A later bed time won't help as it will still be a 4:30/5:30 wake up.

littleraysofsunshine Thu 12-Nov-15 19:10:01

?

Scoopmuckdizzy Thu 12-Nov-15 22:01:09

I have no advice I'm afraid but I've been trying to deal with the same sort of sleep pattern for the past few months with my just turned 2yo.

Tried everything I could think of- moved him into a bed, moved bedroom, later bedtime, earlier bedtime, wearing him out more during the day, dropping his daytime nap, bringing the nap forward. Nothing has worked. He's back in his cot in his original bedroom again now as he was getting out of bed and bothering his brother.

We've tried bringing him in with us in the morning to try and get a couple more hours but he will just bounce around and tells us he wants to go downstairs over and over. We're exhausted. I'm pregnant with DC3 and honestly would have put it off a little longer with DS's sleeping the way it is at the moment.

Scoopmuckdizzy Thu 12-Nov-15 22:01:58

Sorry to hijack!

littleraysofsunshine Fri 13-Nov-15 21:10:10

It's tiring isn't it! Pregnant with dc4 here do sympathise with you X

littleraysofsunshine Mon 23-Nov-15 20:05:57

Anyone ?

monkeyblonde Tue 24-Nov-15 14:47:05

See my post from yesterday 'Early Morning Waking'. Personally I think it's a developmental thing, my ds2 has suddenly started speaking more clearly, recognising colours etc, but is also much more aware of things that are 'scary' and being alone.

I tried wake to sleep last night but made no difference. Maybe because 1) I didn't rouse him enough 2) he needed to do a poo when he woke up at 4.28am again. As he was also awake from 11.30pm to 1am I thought that at least he may have slept later, but no!

How are you managing your LOs naps sunshine? As he is now napping up to 3 hours a day to compensate I've got no idea how to get some sort of routine back. It's driving me nuts and controlling our lives even more than usual.

mrsmugoo Tue 24-Nov-15 15:01:28

I have a 20 month old and recently cut him down to one hours nap as he was hyper at bedtime and waking too early from having 2 hours. It's sorted him right out.

monkeyblonde Tue 24-Nov-15 15:04:13

How do you keep him going? I can't expect my LO to wait to nap at a 'normal' time if he wakes up at 4.30. What was your plan of action?

Queendedede Tue 24-Nov-15 17:45:24

Monkey, my 19mo was up from 11.30 until 2am last night - must have been something in the air! When he finally dropped off he woke up at 5.30, managed to go back to sleep until 6.45am thankfully. He naps for 2hrs, 11.30 until 1.30 and bed asleep by 7pm. I always keep the nap time the same, no matter what time he woke. I just keep him outside or give him snacks, this keeps him going.

monkeyblonde Tue 24-Nov-15 18:03:19

Thanks for the reply!

I have tried making his nap later, it just means he wakes at the same time as he would have done if he'd napped at his usual time. Do I need to change it gradually? And wake him up after a certain amount of time?

Queendedede Tue 24-Nov-15 19:09:08

When he started on one nap it used to be 10.30 until 12/12.30 and a super early bedtime but gradually over about 8 - 12 weeks I pushed it later, 10 minutes every few days or so. It worked well. I do sometimes put him down earlier - today he was asleep by 11.10 as he was awake for ages during the night (teething second molars already!) He woke at 1.15pm. I never let him sleep past 1.30pm, no matter how bad his night before was or what time he went down for the nap. If be sleeps later then bedtime doesn't go as smoothly as usual as not tired enough.

Queendedede Tue 24-Nov-15 19:10:54

I wouldn't let him nap for longer than 2.5hrs. I usually cap mine at 2hrs - plenty enough day sleep for this age.

littleraysofsunshine Thu 26-Nov-15 20:40:00

He usually naps from 12-2. I find it doesn't effect his sleeping at night at all. For example if he skips his nap all day he will still do the same at night. If he goes to bed later, he will still wake and wake early for the day the next morning.

Must be developmental?

Queendedede Thu 26-Nov-15 21:08:18

Developmental or teething? How many teeth does he have?

mrsmugoo Thu 26-Nov-15 21:42:49

I find one off changes to naps make no difference but a routine shift can take place if you make a consistent change in about 5-6 days.

littleraysofsunshine Thu 10-Dec-15 14:25:18

Nap times make no difference here.

I have noticed three new teeth cutting....grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now