Talk

Advanced search

Why is going to sleep so upsetting?

(5 Posts)
Tindel Mon 09-Nov-15 21:25:12

Am at a bit of a loss with our 10 week old DS. We are trying to get him to sleep with a nice calming routine - massage, bath, feed and then bed. However, for the past few nights, he just cries constantly. He's been fed, changed, but is inconsolable. We try jiggling, walking, rocking, checking nappy, winding, which invariably makes little difference. Often we have to wait for him to cry himself to sleep in our arms.

Is there anything we can do to make this less traumatic? It goes on for a few hours, the record so far is 7 hours. It's breaking my heart to hear it and I just want him to calm down and sleep. He's not a great napper (mainly catnaps unless he is in the sling), so I know he's tired, it just seems to come out as crying rather than sleeping

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Mon 09-Nov-15 21:27:02

Acid burn. Prop him up at all times.

FATEdestiny Mon 09-Nov-15 22:17:10

7 hours without sleep? Goodness.

Try a dummy. Try swaddling.

Try feeding more frequently. Try to ensure awake time is limited to no more than an hour.

cosmicdancer89 Mon 09-Nov-15 23:07:20

Overtired, missed sleep window? Have you tried sling & white noise (hair dryer/extractor fan/hoover)?

Could be gas discomfort though, in which case try baby massage and Infacol. But honestly, the sleep gets better for most around the 12/14week mark -- it did for us anyway (until we hit the 4 month sleep regression...fun times)

FishWithABicycle Mon 09-Nov-15 23:14:44

He is finding it distressing because he doesn't yet know that this sensation is called "tired" or that it is caused by lack of sleep or that sleep will make it go away.

He doesn't like the sensation. He wants it to go away and is going to scream at it until it does. He cannot relax until it has gone away.

Eventually he will make the connection that sad because of tired can be mitigated by sleep. Until then, there will be shouting.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: