Talk

Advanced search

Wwyd re waking baby to get ready for bed/nappy change?

(29 Posts)
Nottalotta Wed 04-Nov-15 05:26:39

DS is 14weeks. Doesn't nap well during the day (can't put him down for a nap. Has to be sling, car seat, pram)

He falls asleep in the sling in the evening and i transfer him to the bouncy chair while we eat. He will often stay asleep, occasionally wake. I tend to leave him in through chair for a couple of hours and then we all go to bed together. 9-10.

At this stage i get him ready for bed (clean vest and grobag ) and nappy change. Often this upsets him as i wake him up. If i leave him.he often won't wake til midnight.

His next nappy change is 4-4.30. Dh gets up at 4 so i do it then. If i leave it til 6 it will leak. But he will have had a sleepy bf at 3-3.30 and be fast asleep again. So i have to wake him again. I put the light on and he will wakes up ok but is then fully awake for an hour. He's back to sleep now but i am wide awake!

wwyd re getting ready for bed? i'd like to do it earlier but than he won't be able to go in the chair due to sleeping bag.

and nappy change waking? Any way to avoid a full on wake up?

chickenfordinner Wed 04-Nov-15 05:46:16

Hi

Do you have anything downstairs he could sleep in in his grobag- pram? Is he too big for a Moses basket? Travel cot???? Or could he do the first part of the night with sheets? Think I'd be tempted to get him ready (clean nappy and vest at least) before he's likely to sleep, then put him in the sling and perhaps you could transfer to grobag laid out in the pram/travel cot and he might stay asleep when you go to bed.
I'd def do a nappy change before sleepy bf at 3 ish - much better to wake him then when you have magic boobs to get him back to sleep than at 4 when he will wake properly
Not sure if this is any help as every baby is so different and my brain is addled from being up with my teething toddler!
Good luck.

Nottalotta Wed 04-Nov-15 05:52:31

Thanks chicken. I think i need to try and get him to sleep on/in something else as you say. I guess as he won't during the day (not even the bouncy chair) i am just so grateful for him sleeping in the evening that we have ended up just varying on with it. He is too big for the Moses basket really but would be ok for a couple of hours i think. I might try that later. Though will still Need a clean nappy at 10. DH gets up at 4 so i try to go 10-4 with no changes.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Wed 04-Nov-15 05:57:39

What nappies are you using? My 17 week old goes 8-6.30 with no leaks. I've never changed at night except for a poo.

Nottalotta Wed 04-Nov-15 06:01:50

Pampers baby dry. I have tried many types. I use two of these at night now(10-4, 4 - 9) then tesco purple pack ones during the day. I have had an ordeal with nappy leaks!

WaitroseEssentialPancetta Wed 04-Nov-15 06:51:03

I would change him when you first him in the gro bag as it'll be easier to get him back to sleep then and also you can eventually start bringing it forward, hard to bring it forward from 3am.

Aren't they not supposed to sleep in bouncy chairs though, I thought it was really dangerous? Isn't everything though.

sleeplessinmybedroom Wed 04-Nov-15 07:06:29

Dd is 9 weeks. She sleeps well in the evenings. If she has her last feed at either 8 or 9 we go to bed with her, change her clothes and nappy , feed her and put into sleeping bag when she's asleep. If her last feed is at 7 we do the same downstairs, change etc, feed, sleeping bag in Moses basket then carry her up later and put her in cot. She doesn't settle very easily downstairs though. She usually sleeps 8-12 hours and I don't change her unless she wakes up for a feed which is rare. We use aldi nappies and have never had a leak.

PossumPied Wed 04-Nov-15 08:34:20

Your 9 week old goes 12 hours Sleepless?! I think you need a new nn grin

Nottalotta Wed 04-Nov-15 08:58:57

I was using Aldo happiest until he went into size 3 when i had leaks several times day of both kinds.

Is it bad to sleep in the bouncy chair? i am always seeing them recommended for naps. But i suppose the answer is for him to sleep in something he can wear his grobag in. I am loathe to change things though as those couple of hours are pretty much the only time i get all day.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Wed 04-Nov-15 09:03:10

I know what you mean about having no time all day! Mine only sleeps on me in the day and in the evening so dinner is one handed!
I would change when you take him upstairs, then do a dream feed to settle him back down. You might find you get a longer stretch of sleep yourself then.

Artandco Wed 04-Nov-15 09:09:03

I would change him into a clean vest/ baby grow earlier in the evening before you eat then. Lay the gro bag open on chair so it gets warm from him and can steal in and lay other half over a bit without doing up

At bedtime you can just open bag and change nappy and zip him in bag so he's not having full best change etc

In the night don't put the main light on, but a little night light so it's just enough for you to see by not enough to wake him up. Or add a dimmer switch and bulb to your main light so you can just put it on minimal

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 04-Nov-15 09:38:25

If DH wakes at 4am why cant he do the nappy change then? You can sleep through with the use of earplugs.

Onsera3 Wed 04-Nov-15 09:43:08

I thought it was ok for them to nap in bouncy chair if you were watching them?

I'd definitely do a change before night feed so they can't doze back off during feed.

I've heard of putting bambino mio mioboost nappy liners inside disposable nappies at night to avoid leaks.

LittleBearPad Wed 04-Nov-15 09:58:49

Have you tried other nappies - they should cope with a night's sleep. Different shapes work for different babies. Are the nappies too big, that would cause leaks.

I think you should do a proper bedtime before he falls asleep in the sling ie change nappy, into sleep suit etc.

Put grobag open in cot and transfer to that when you take him up. Then if you crack the nappies he can stay in it until the morning and shouldn't wake up so much.

bonzo77 Wed 04-Nov-15 10:04:51

Get a "travel" sleeping bag: they have a 2 way zip and the front and vent at the back. Then you can feed the crotch strap of the bouncy chair through. Or leave one leg sticking out of the bag. Or use a fleecey sleep suit over his normal sleep suit instead of a gro bag.

FATEdestiny Wed 04-Nov-15 10:49:02

Nottalotta

When you put baby into bouncy chair and have dinner, if you left baby until he woke naturally for a feed, what time would it be?

If it would be middle of the night time (ie after you have gone to bed) then I would say that your baby is telling you he is ready for having a proper "bedtime" now, where he is put to bed upstairs in the cot at the time you have dinner.

I only kept my children downstairs when they were of the age that they would wake for a feed before I went to bed. Then use this feed as the time to 'get ready for bed' and take then up after the feed.

If your DS is not waking at all in the evening, then it suggests he's ready for a proper "bedtime routine" (ie feed, bath if needed, story, PJs on and settle for the night in the cot) and from your post your baby is telling you that the best time for this is when you have dinner.

Don't worry, the time of bedtime will change a lot over the next few months. The time need not be set in stone. But stablishing the routine and order to bedtime is often helpful.

When babies are ready for a proper bedtime varied from child to child. My DC3 was settling all evening (indeed he was STTN - I was luck that time) from 7 weeks old. In comparison DC4 (currently 13 months) was about 5 months when she was ready for a proper upstairs bedtime.

The pointer to use for when they are ready for this is when they are sleeping all evening, until and past when you go to bed. That's when baby is ready.

Now there is a SIDS risk here. Baby should stay in the same room as you until 6 months old. Up to you how you deal with this or if it is a managed risk, but it is there.

Nottalotta Wed 04-Nov-15 11:06:13

Re nappies - None that i have tried will contain a full nights wee. When I change him at 4 it is FULL. DH does get up and goes to the first of his 2 jobs, and i wake up anyway so that isn't an issue. Besides the baby is awake once he's been changed so i would be awake anyway.

Fate thank you. Of course he wakes when I get him ready, and WILL feed again then. I am not sure how long he would sleep if i left him. I have taken him up and left him and he has slept til 12/1. We do co sleep though, through necessity really as he won't settle on his own. Although i havent tried for ages.

Do you think i should start by putting him.in the cot when we go to bed, or introduce a bedtime and go to bed earlier myself with him?

Nottalotta Wed 04-Nov-15 11:08:42

I could put him in a sleepsuit ihe chair and have the bag ready in his cot for when we go up, or do the one leg out suggestion.

Recommendations for nappies for very wet boys gratefully received!

Nottalotta Wed 04-Nov-15 11:23:11

I would also really like to be able to put him down for a nap during the day. Is there any way i can encourage this? Just tried bouncing in chair - nope. Feeding - nope. Rocking in basket - nope. I suppose now he is past it. He is laying in my arms quietly but will be upset if i put him down.

Artandco Wed 04-Nov-15 11:44:35

Not disposable but wonderoo v3 reusable nappies at every good overnight on wetters. You could just buy one to try, and if you like 3 should be enough to allow for one worn overnight, one drying, and one clean for next night on rotation. They adapt in size so same one would fit now up through toddler age ( mine were dry before 18 months in day but youngest wore a nappy overnight until about 3 1/2)

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Wed 04-Nov-15 20:08:23

I would also really like to be able to put him down for a nap during the day.

If you figure it out let me know! I'm on baby number 2 and still can't seem to manage it...

Nottalotta Wed 04-Nov-15 20:20:27

Which nappies do you use grotbag?

Ds appears to be Teething. :-(

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Wed 04-Nov-15 20:23:29

Pampers baby dry so no use to you there! She's never leaked, but obviously different nappies suit different babies.

bonzo77 Wed 04-Nov-15 20:54:24

Boots own nappies here. Used them on all 3 of mine. Very rarely leak.

On the subject of putting them down for naps, or for their night time sleeps... I had a chance discovery with my second. Because I couldn't always jump to him when the other child needed me, sometimes I'd leave him longer crying or unsettled than I really wanted to. And a large proportion of the time he'd be asleep by the time I got to him, even in just a few minutes. And needs must. So my third, who is now 9 weeks, has most of his naps in his cot, and goes to bed in his crib in my room after his evening bath and bottle. My point is that my babies, and presumably some others, will self settle sooner than you'd imagine, they just need the opportunity. I'm not saying leave new borns to cry it out routinely, but to just see what happens if they're grizzling. Sometimes all the things you do to settle them actually over stimulate them.

Nottalotta Wed 04-Nov-15 20:55:09

I might try leaving it til 6 tomorrow. He's never leaked out of a pampers but i don't give it chance!

Was going to implement the change tonight (get ready for bed early, put in chair with leg out etc) but he has been so unsettled today with his Teething that i chickened out. Rough day.

Not good news on the putting down for a nap! Shall i just give up? Do you keep trying?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now