Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bed sharing with a premature baby - any ideas?

(6 Posts)
poocatcherchampion Tue 27-Oct-15 09:55:16

The fsid website says not to bed share with a pre 37 week baby and I can't find anything more nuanced than that.

Our ds was born a week ago at 35+5. He was discharged after 24h no concerns. Birth weight 6lb 4.

I would like to have the option to bring him into the bed on occasion like we did with our previous 2, but the guidance seems to say never. Am I missing something that says it is OK after 3months or a certain weight?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance

Artandco Tue 27-Oct-15 10:51:12

It's to do with temperature regulation, so presumably same guildlines as usual for safe sleeping once they reach average birth weight/ and past due date

I have suggested on other threads but do look at the 'sleepyhead' sleep pod. You can have at top of bed between pillows and over the duvet so no chance of duvet accidentally going over. As they are in the sleepyhead they will not overhead from your body heat etc. but you can obviously lay next to them and reassure with hand

poocatcherchampion Tue 27-Oct-15 12:10:31

Thanks that is a great starting point and sounds sensible. I can't seem to find any advice at all.

DustingOffTheDynastySuit Tue 27-Oct-15 12:16:39

Bedside cot? That's what we did with prem twins.

cabbageleaf Thu 29-Oct-15 16:30:21

As far as I know, the guidelines say not to co-sleep with preemies because they have an increased risk of SIDS. However, I could not find any studies on co-sleeping that specifically looked at preemies. On the other hand, co-sleeping is just as beneficial for preemies as it is for term babies: it helps maintain body temperature stable, helps getting breastfeeding started, and of course all babies love being close to their mums! I decided to co-sleep with my preemie because he clusterfed for hours and I needed some sleep before 2am confused I hadn't planned to, but I loved it. Waking up next to him after the endless weeks in NICU was wonderful.
However, it is against the guidelines on safe sleep, so you will have to decide for yourself!

poocatcherchampion Thu 29-Oct-15 18:56:05

Thanks cabbage - did you do it from the outset?

Hope your preemie thriving now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now