Talk

Advanced search

5 week old sleep

(4 Posts)
OffMyAyersRocker Mon 26-Oct-15 12:08:47

5 week old dd is a champion night sleeper atm, going 12 hours with 1 or 2 feeds. However she is then not interested in napping in the morning. She's also now refusing her long afternoon nap in her cot so I'm letting her sleep in her vibrate chair.

Is it ok for her to have her day naps this way? And for her to only cat nap in the mornings?

mintbiscuit Mon 26-Oct-15 12:31:54

Let tiny babies sleep any way they want to at this age! Do whatever works to get them the sleep they need. They need tons of sleep at this age. At least 18 hrs if not more.

Focus on awake time and keep it down to a minimum. No more than an hour (maybe even less if you are struggling to get baby to nap). Wake feed nappy change quick cuddle back to sleep. Rinse and repeat as many times as needed in the day.

Naps get harder to come by as they start coming out of newborn sleepy state so IME you have to work harder at them. Otherwise they get overtired and refuse to nap.

Short naps a very common. It just means you need to have more of them in the day. Make awake time shorter if they are taking short naps. Around 5 weeks mine would only handle 45 mins of awake time.

OffMyAyersRocker Mon 26-Oct-15 13:14:53

thanks mint. I just felt a bit conflicted if actually napping in her chair during the day was OK but I do agree with just making sure they get enough sleep however it comes!

triggy80 Tue 27-Oct-15 08:17:45

My 5 week old DS exactly the same! At the moment I'm enjoying the night sleeps though as feel like I've lucked out there! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now