Talk

Advanced search

crying, thrashing and feeding in sleep 4 am

(6 Posts)
derynbird Mon 26-Oct-15 10:07:35

My LO is now 7 weeks but since she was 3 weeks she has started thrashing and crying in her sleep at 330 to 4am. We are co-sleeping and breastfeeding at the moment and when she is thrashing and letting out cries she is rooting for the breast. If I let her have it she feeds but still thrashes, kicks legs and groans. Initially I thought she was awake doing this +/- hungry but I now dont think she is. If I pick her up and wake her she goes quiet and is happy!! On the other hand if I do not let her have the nipple she starts properly crying?! Maybe a halfway state?
This may go on for several hours and is leading to no sleep after 3 and sore nipples!!
Ive looked on past threads and this is most likely due to digestive immaturity/wind but wondered id anyone else having issues with this? Lots of people mention the grunting but this is crying also. When did your LO grow out of it?
Im trying to get her in her cot so the boobs can rest but that is a separate issue!
thanks

spillyobeans Thu 29-Oct-15 23:16:17

Mine does this too, hopefully somone will come along with some helpfull advice!

louise987 Fri 30-Oct-15 11:25:24

You're not the only one, I'm in the same boat with my 6wk old DD. I think it's a mix of wind/silent reflux and I'm hoping this phase won't go on for too long as I feel so helpless when she looks so frustrated/in pain trashing about!

I sometimes find just experimenting with different positions for her to sit in helps, often being more upright and on her side slightly can relieve her a bit. Sometimes a swaddle can help too (but sometimes this makes her more frustrated - who knows!) worth trying anything smile

Best of luck - you're not alone!

spillyobeans Fri 30-Oct-15 11:48:08

Mine is 4 month btw, was fine when he was very small, but very windy and hard to get wind up so thats a possibility

Lunastarfish Fri 30-Oct-15 21:54:12

Mine was very windy at that stage. Without fail she'd wake at 4 am acting the same as you describe. I found picking her up and burping her as well as cycling her legs helped. Once she did a few farts she'd go to sleep grin

It became lot better by 11 weeks.

derynbird Thu 05-Nov-15 09:59:56

good to know this seems to be a common problem, just hope it settles down for everyone soon. I've come to the conclusion shes brewing a poo with lots of associated farts, as more often than not, if I sit reclining at about 45 degrees and lie her on her back on me, facing outwards so her body is flat, head near my shoulder and legs going down, shell have a few strains and then the poo comes. ( I guess much easier than pooing lying down!) Shes generally more settled after this although there seems to be some residual farts that we just cant shift!

A technique worth a go! Good luck all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: