Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Grrrrr wtf is wrong with my child

(3 Posts)
Twistedheartache Sat 24-Oct-15 20:40:24

Completely at the end of my tether.
Dd2 turns 1 next week and her sleep is getting progressively worse 2 & I'm getting less and less patient
Last night she woke 6 times between 6:30 & 10. She just sits up and screams & if I lie her down without picking her up she screams more.
When I pick her up she's asleep in my arms in seconds, til I put her down when she rolls over & sits up over and over.
She also screamed for 2hrs from 2-4

At the moment she's asleep on me in front of x factor coz I just can't cope/fight anymore.
She was an amazing sleeper til 5.5 months and on and off goes back to being fab. Sleeping til 4 quick bf/cuddle & through to 7 but that's 2 days in the last month between bouts of teething not twice a week.
So fed up of never having an evening coz I'm constantly up and down.
DD1 was way worse, held hands to sleep til 3 and I don't care if she doesn't sleep through but this is crazy.
I think she's teething/snotty & have drugged her up accordingly she's just wrestling & fighting sleep constantly even when she's not.
Any ideas??

Cake0rdeath Sat 24-Oct-15 21:59:50

I feel your pain. I've been there and it's the absolute worst.

When DS is struggling with snot I'm guilty of going a little crazy with the olbas oil. In bath, under pillow-pretty much everywhere. This, along with slathering him in Vicks and using a nasal saline spray to make the snot runny had him sleep much better.

If you think it's more a learned behaviour as opposed to genuine sickness, I would consider sleep training? I understand that it may not be your thing but it's clear that the sleep routine you once had is long gone.

DS was the most awful sleeper (up 5-6 times a night and both DH and I were working) until we decided to
Do a "light" version of controlled crying. Softer approaches didn't work (gradual retreat was just a game to him and pick up, put down enraged him) so a "tougher" approach was needed as we realised he just needed to get on with it himself.

We went with 5 minute increments and didn't have the heart to remove his beloved dummy. It took about a week and he'd self settle and would
Only wake once a night for reassurance and for us to replace his dummy. He didn't sleep through until he was 15 months but i genuinely think he just wasn't ready.

It may be something to consider. I'd advise starting while your DC is unwell as you need a clear run at it.

breezielouisie Sat 24-Oct-15 22:50:17

Hun I feel your pain. My daughter slept through the night from 6 weeks. I was one of those smug mums who thought I had it all figured out. Then at 8 months old she decided she would not sleep unless I was literally in physical contact with her. Keen not to go down the co-sleeping route I ended up sleeping (or rather, not sleeping) on her bedroom floor with my hand through her cot bars. I was back at work at this point and working long hours and commuting a lot, and it just wasn't an option to continue. So I bit the bullet and did sleep training. It was the hardest thing I've ever done because it goes against every instinct in your body but within 3 nights she went to sleep within minutes and slept through. She's 4 now and it a happy, secure, content, strong little girl and I can honestly say I don't think it did her any harm but I regained my sanity. But it's not for everyone xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now