Talk

Advanced search

5month old rolling onto tummy at night

(5 Posts)
diddymay Wed 21-Oct-15 21:50:55

im so worried my little girl rolled onto her tummy last nite and I woke to her crying face down , I quickly laid her onto her back again I stayed awake watching her and she did again and got stuck face down I never went back to sleep as I was so scared, can anyone please give me advice as to wat to do tonight many thanks k x

Mummatron3000 Wed 21-Oct-15 22:05:50

When my 1st DS started doing this I asked my HV who said if he's strong enough to roll over he's strong enough to move head if he's sick etc and not to stay up rolling him back over (which I had done). So if your daughter will fall asleep once she's rolled on to her front, I'd just leave her!

FATEdestiny Wed 21-Oct-15 22:09:28

Once baby is rolling you can't really stop it happening.

There is a short window of time until baby learns to be able to reliably roll from back to front and also front to back. You are in the time in between, before they can roll both ways. It should only be a couple of months or so until baby can roll herself back onto her back when she wants to. So for now it is just about managing and coping until she has the skills.

NSH advise is to put baby on back to sleep and that if baby wakes to return then to sleep on their back, but not to stop them from rolling.

A tightly tucked un blanket makes it harder for baby to lift legs and throw them to one side (which creates the momentum to allow back to front rolling) so may make it harder to roll. But more realistically this is just about accepting this change as a normal developmental stage that is different to the phase you were in.

mrsmugoo Fri 23-Oct-15 15:29:02

Mine kept doing this repeatedly at around the same age so one night I jus let him sleep on his tummy and he stayed asleep for 6 hours as opposed to usual 3 at that age. He preferred tummy sleep from them on!

MilkyChops Fri 23-Oct-15 15:51:43

Once they have the strength to roll then they are safe to sleep how they wish. My LO sleeps either on his side or on his tummy now but I put him down on his back then he just gets himself comfy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now