Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

when did you introduce a pillow and duvet?

(13 Posts)
woodwaj Fri 16-Oct-15 11:52:40

Baby is 8 months old he does sleep through without a feed during the night but tends to wake up a lot still and ends up Co sleeping. A number of things waking him up first a cold, then vomiting bug struck, then a cold again all mixed in with teething. During the day I let him sleep in his cot with my pillow and a blanket because I am awake to watch and he loves it sleeps so much better. I'm conscious that it's still to early to do though any advice??

mintbiscuit Fri 16-Oct-15 12:05:46

Didn't introduce a pillow until around 2 yrs and only then a very flat one. I personally wouldn't at 8 months. Never used blankets or duvets as used growbags at that age. Ds2 is still in a growbag at 2 yrs s he is wriggley and would kick covers off (he is still in cot so safe for him). I introduced duvet when ds1 moved into bed (around 3 years).

woodwaj Fri 16-Oct-15 12:13:41

He uses sleeping bags which he is fine with he's not particularly wriggly though I was hoping you would at least say 1 year! wink I think this boy would be happy on a cloud!

FinglesMcStingles Fri 16-Oct-15 12:39:50

Dunno about the official advice, but I'd say it depends how physically able the baby is. If they can move themselves around the cot easily a pillow isn't likely to be a problem; if they're still not confident rolling both ways then best without one.

For DD I had a flat pillow from ... actually I can't remember, but definitely a good couple of months or so before her first birthday. Stuck with the sleeping bag until the sides came off the cot at two and a half, whereupon the idea of her jumping around her room in a sleeping bag and falling over alarmed me into getting a pillow and duvet set.

Pinkpowderpuff Fri 16-Oct-15 12:44:15

This will not be popular but I gave both my boys a pillow and duvet from 4 months. It was my Mum who pushed it and after having 7 kids I tend to take her advice on a lot of things. (For the record, one is now 6yrs and the other 18mo). Both were side sleepers from birth too. Pillow was only a flatish one.

woodwaj Fri 16-Oct-15 12:49:49

That makes me feel a lot better about thinking about it! He does sleep on his back but prefers to be on his side. He's very alert and strong a super skilled roller but there's always the "what if" in the back of your mind isn't there!!

Pinkpowderpuff Fri 16-Oct-15 13:42:29

Until about 10mo when DS2 could pull up to standing in his cot I popped the pillow under the sheet so it wouldn't move around and he couldn't get stuck under it or scrumple it up iyswim!

woodwaj Fri 16-Oct-15 16:19:18

It's prob more done that I think then! He's never been a massive fan of the cot mattress it's not like it's an uncomfortable one either! It's a (not so) silent night!

trilbydoll Fri 16-Oct-15 16:22:51

Mothercare do a pillow and duvet set, I used the pillow from about 10mo. Duvet from 16m ish because that's when it got cold.

Pointless, didn't make any difference to her sleep and she hates covers of all kinds, always has. I think she would sleep better with an adult pillow but that was a step too far for me!

KW89 Fri 16-Oct-15 20:54:51

My son was about 18 months when we gave him a pillow and duvet, we were using sleeping bags, but he kept undoing the poppers so we thought it was time to switch! He has just turned two now and still wriggles out from under his duvet, I always go in before I go to bed to tuck him back in! xx

woodwaj Fri 16-Oct-15 22:00:53

I think the cot pillows are designed to be nice and flat! I brought it up with OH this evening and he did say he had been considering it himself. Good that we are on the same page I suppose

skankingpiglet Sat 17-Oct-15 22:50:21

We got DD a cot pillow at 12mo as she had been scrunching her poor teddy up and using him as a makeshift. We introduced a duvet a couple of weeks ago at 16mo as we'd transferred her to a floor bed. The duvet is a regular single which we use sideways on her cotbed tucked in on both sides and at the bottom. She loves them and the first 3 nights with the duvet she slept through (properly slept through, not that sleeping for 5 hours nonsense) for the FIRST TIME EVER then she got a stinking cold that is still lingering, and went back to waking every 2 hours. Sigh.

woodwaj Sat 17-Oct-15 23:12:51

It's the pillow that is so tempting I know he only wants to be in my bed to hog the pillow!! These babies are so cheeky grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now