Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

12 week old getting worse!

(10 Posts)
slightlyconfused85 Sun 11-Oct-15 07:03:26

My 12 week old ds was doing pretty well; going to sleep at 7 as knackered, sleeping until sometime between 2-4 for a feed then sleeping till sometime between 6-7. Sometimes I'd hear him stir and grizzle a tiny bit at another time then drop back off. He self settles and doesn't use a dummy for sleep. Over the last couple of nights it's gone more like this:
Sleep at 7
Wake between 11-12 screaming but refusing food. Eventually go back to sleep after a lot of screaming.
Wake for food around 3
Wake up screaming at 5.15 refusing food. Go back to sleep after a lot of crying
Wake up hungry but happy enough at 6.45.
Any ideas? Just a little phase? Worries he's going to start waking my 3 year old especially In the early hours

mintbiscuit Sun 11-Oct-15 10:19:06

At 12 weeks my money is on a phase. There is lots going on at this time development wise (when isn't there with babies?!). Google 'the wonder weeks'.

Assuming night wakings aren't linked to overtiredness due to poor day sleep I think you will have to ride it out. Then you'll have the 4 month sleep regression to look forward to! Ah the joys....

FATEdestiny Sun 11-Oct-15 14:04:23

Sleep in a baby's first 3 months, the "forth trimester", is generally not indicative of baby's sleep longer term.

In newborn phase babies are relatively speaking easy to get to sleep and sleep lots. As long as baby has a full tummy and isn't in pain, an up-to-3-month old is likely to sleep without much issue.

Once moving out of the newborn phase, at around 12 weeks, babies start noticing the world and are generally harder work than in those newborn weeks. It is now that the work starts in helping baby sleep using good habits and sleep triggers.

Personally, I'd introduce a dummy now OP.

slightlyconfused85 Sun 11-Oct-15 21:04:22

He's napping as much as I can convince him too during the day so I don't think he's very overtired - he naps for lots of 45 minute sessions or occasionally longer if in pushchair or random long naps!
I have tried with a dummy Fate, he really isn't having it he just spits it out and screams. He's happy to go off to sleep without one and just sort of makes a few noises and settles himself without intervention so I don't think he really needs one. I do wonder if teething is starting as he's just started to drool. Dd already had a tooth at his age so wouldn't be surprised!

KW89 Fri 16-Oct-15 21:20:09

I feel your pain! My son was 12 weeks today and is just like what you have written in your post.... Sorry not much help, but you are not alone, I'm exhausted! sad xx

PebbleTTC Fri 16-Oct-15 21:33:48

I'm the same! I'm baby turned 12 weeks on Wednesday and up to Tuesday night he was sleeping from 9 pm - 7 am then the last two nights he has been waking every 2-3 hours!

slightlyconfused85 Fri 16-Oct-15 22:09:04

Sorry to hear Pebble but glad im not alone! DS seems to sway from a good night to a spectacularly bad one with frequency. I guess I will just ride it out - these things always get better eventually!

PebbleTTC Fri 16-Oct-15 22:23:36

I spent the last week saying how great a sleeper he is so I'm thinking i just jinxed myself! He woke up there are an hour sleep, that is the first time ever he did that! I'm hoping this won't last long

PebbleTTC Thu 22-Oct-15 10:29:32

Hey confused, has your babys sleep gone back to normal or is he still waking? My fella is still waking every 3 hours, I'm wrecked!

slightlyconfused85 Thu 22-Oct-15 18:41:36

He's very unpredictable! Last night 7-3 then 3.15-6.15 and up for the day. That's fine by me! Few nights ago he was waking every 2 hours ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now