Talk

Advanced search

5 year old suddenly can't fall asleep till 9.30pm and having major tantrums..

(5 Posts)
Wanttostayinbedallday Mon 05-Oct-15 22:01:53

DS just started in Year 1 and has always been amazing at going to sleep at around 8pm. He's at school all day and has various after school activities, swimming, tennis, drama and for the last week he has been totally unable to fall asleep before 9.30pm. He has also been having massive tantrums, crying, screaming, thrashing about, he's very emotional and angry. I wondered if anyone else has experienced something similar at the start of Year 1. He's a May baby so in the younger half of his year.

DearTeddyRobinson Mon 05-Oct-15 22:07:55

Sounds overtired? That's a lot of extracurricular stuff for such a little boy. Maybe try cutting back a bit and having some down time after school?

Wanttostayinbedallday Mon 05-Oct-15 22:24:32

He had all these activities last year as well and was fine. We have 2 days a week with nothing after school and we keep the w/ends pretty quiet. I think maybe it's the step up between reception which is basically playing all day to Year 1 which is a lot more hardcore. They only do PE once a week at school and he has a huge amount of energy. Also he has to behave all day so comes home and then lets it out?? Or could be a hormone surge..?

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 05-Oct-15 22:31:13

He sounds extremely over tired. I'd instigate some kind of wind down time maybe. not tv as that can wind them.up depending on what they watch.

maybe jammies a story and a cup of camomile tea with a bit of honey (clean teeth after obviously)

how about a lava lamp for the bedroom. a night light that's relaxing to watch.

KanyesVest Mon 05-Oct-15 22:32:30

DD is 5 and in reception equivalent. I had to move her bedtime back by half an hour, so bath at 6.30 to be in bed no later than 7, story ready by 7.10 and asleep by 7.15. She's awake about 6.30am, but far less demonic. In the last week or so DH has been letting bath time creep back towards 7, and she's getting crankier by the day, so going to nail it back again this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now