Talk

Advanced search

early rising for clock not working

(19 Posts)
LimesMum Sun 04-Oct-15 06:47:21

So we've now been using the gro clock almost 4 weeks and still DD wakes at 520 every day.

I've left toys and a drink in her cot but it doesn't seem to help (I'm not sure if she can't really see them). I'm now starting to wonder if the clock has made things worse?!!

Does anyone have any advice or has anyone had success after several weeks? Most people I speak to say it worked within a few days.

Once or twice she sat quietly waiting for the sun but all other times she just stand crying out for us until the sun is up and often has a dirty nappy too which is complicating matters.

Thanks

RNBrie Sun 04-Oct-15 06:53:11

How old is she? We had ours for a year before she really understood what it meant!!

We used it as a nightlight for a long time and it was set to go orange around the time she woke up. Then when we knew she understood what it meant we started adding 5 mins to it every week or so.

A gro clock is never going to magically turn a 5.20 wake up time into a 7am wake up time... And if she has a dirty nappy, she needs changing.

DesertorDessert Sun 04-Oct-15 07:01:06

How are you using it? And how old is she?
If she has a dirty nappy, it needs changing in silence, dim lights then back to bed.
I'd start with the clock at about 5.25 or 5.30. And be prepared to get up then. Once she has the hang of waiting for the sun, then start extending it, slowly!

Good luck!

LimesMum Mon 05-Oct-15 19:56:19

She is 20 months. We tried setting it at her wake uptime and gradually increasing by day if it didn't really seem to work so now we just set it for 6 and leave some toys in the cot.

She definitely understands the concept of it but it just doesn't seem to be helping keep her in bed until 6 and she wakes at the same time every day

Last night we put her to be later and we have tried earlier too but no matter what it makes no difference

TurnOffTheTv Mon 05-Oct-15 19:59:11

Isn't 20 months a little young?

jelliebelly Mon 05-Oct-15 20:02:21

Mine are 10 and 6 yrs old and get up at 6 every morning come rain or shine - ok they don't cry now but they still like us to know they are awake! I don't think the groclock will help at this age tbh.

iMatter Mon 05-Oct-15 20:09:03

Is there something waking her then? Hot water coming on etc? We had the same with ds1 who woke at 5.30 every day. It was the whoosh of the boiler kicking that woke him.

Boredofthinkingofnewnames Mon 05-Oct-15 20:09:25

I think she's too young for it? My twins are early risers and we have had all sorts of clocks / light etc and nothing has made a difference. They are 4 now and still mostly awake before 6.

nottheop Mon 05-Oct-15 20:16:10

It didn't work for DS. What's the daytime routine like, for us it worked that the daytime nap needed to be pushed back to get the wake up time later. What time is bedtime?

RoganJosh Mon 05-Oct-15 20:22:13

It only worked on ours once they were three I'm afraid. I'd maybe hope that the clocks changing gives you a chance to snap her out of it. Maybe add a slightly later bedtime/limited nap at the same time.
I realise the clock change is the wrong way, but weirdly it's often helped us with early rising.

LimesMum Mon 05-Oct-15 20:48:06

I know perhaps she is too young. But she looks at it and says "Mr twinkle twinkle is sleep sleep" and once the sun come on she claps, jumps up and down in the cot and says "mummy mummy mummy sun up up" repeatedly until I get there. She points at the clock saying "sun up sun up yay!!"

I was told as long as she understood the concept it was ok to try it? Maybe I'm wrong and should just stop using it?

She naps for about 1hr 20 from about 1230-2 ish

Be time is 7 normally but like I said we have tried earlier and later. At nursery she naps at these times so it's a little difficult to make it any later unfortunately.

I could cope with 6 but 520 just seems too early!!!!

nottheop Mon 05-Oct-15 20:55:24

Try bedtime at 8 pm for a week to see if it makes a difference.

slightlyconfused85 Tue 06-Oct-15 07:50:50

I started using the Gro clock at about this age with Dd but really it didn't work properly until she was 2 and a bit. It's good practise but I don't think they have the patience to wait.
Also, it doesn't make her sleep longer - it just means she waits quietly! She doesn't wake so early any more- they do get better

LimesMum Tue 06-Oct-15 13:04:43

Thanks will try 8pm bed although last night she didn't actually go to Sleep until 815 and was up from 440 today!!!!

I could cope with her being awake and patient/playing in bed just can't be getting up at these crazy times!!

Pinkpowderpuff Tue 06-Oct-15 17:39:27

4.40am is a night waking. You need to do whatever you usually do if she wakes in the night to settle her back to sleep. You could try the wake to sleep technique to reset her body clock?

weeblueberry Tue 06-Oct-15 19:44:46

If she's often waking with a full nappy could it be its her stomach waking her? DP is woken by his stomach churning most mornings as a result of his ibs. How late is she eating?

LimesMum Tue 06-Oct-15 22:22:24

It's not normally as early as 440 normally about 520. She does often wake at 4 something and go back herself until 520.

How do you do wake to sleep?? The thought has always scared me as once she is awake she is impossible to get back off and always has been!!!

I hope she doesn't have ibs confused id say 90% of mornings she wakes with a dirty nappy.

She eats at about 5-530pm is that too late?

PosterEh Tue 06-Oct-15 22:27:04

We had one from about that age but it didn't work until she was closer to 3. Now at 3.5 she is properly conditioned to it to the point that I reckon we could set it for 10am at the weekends and get a lie in and she would still stay quietly in her room waiting for the "sun to come up".

LimesMum Wed 07-Oct-15 06:34:00

Postereh thanks for the positive encouragement and hope smile did you just keep persevering from this age? At this age did you set it for actual wake up time or later?

We have had a small miracle this morning and she has slept until 625!! She's actually still in bed now just chatting away even tho the sun is up?! Unless the clock wasn't set properly.

The only difference in routine etc was that she had a 3 hour nap for some reason?? I think it's probably just a fluke but we shall see, maybe she needs a longer nap? Or maybe she was just catching up after ghetto up at 440 the day before!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now