Talk

Advanced search

Worried about spoiling a good thing!!

(4 Posts)
MessalinaOfTheSuburbs Sat 05-Sep-15 10:58:46

DD is 5 months old and EBF. We've got into a pattern where she has a feed at 7pm or 8pm ish, then goes to sleep in DH's arms for a couple of hours while we relax, watch TV etc. Then I wake her for a half-asleep feed at 10/11pm ish and take her to bed with me (co-sleeper cot - DH is in the spare room at the moment as he's a bit of a restless sleeper and tends to wake me up, if not DD). She then goes down very easily and usually sleeps for 6-7 hours and will go to sleep again for another hour or two if the first wake is earlier than 6am.

So at the moment I am getting a decent amount of sleep every night and am very reluctant to jinx it, but on the other hand we can't carry on holding her in the evenings for ever! Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to make the transition? Move the 10pm back gradually, or just start putting her to bed earlier in the evening? If the latter add dreamfeed at grown up bedtime or not? Best to make the change now or in a couple of months? She's quite restless in the evenings and not a great daytime napper and I worry that if we're not holding her she won't go into the peaceful sleep that makes putting her down at the end of the evening so easy, and that she might start associating her cot with being wakeful.

Sorry, I know this is a non-problem compared to what some of you heroic parents are coping with nocturnally! But in the other hand we've always had quite a few issues with breastfeeding during the day which I'm not sure I could continue to cope with if we somehow mess this up and turn her into a bad sleeper...

FATEdestiny Sat 05-Sep-15 22:34:54

I think my DD was about 5 months when we first established a proper bedtime.

Once baby was reliably sleeping deeply downstairs from 7pm until I went to bed, I started moving the bedtime routine upstairs and put baby into (bedside) cot early evening.

I would make bedtime 7pm-8pm and still do the dreamfeed.

CityDweller Sun 06-Sep-15 15:02:36

Like FATE - once DD was reliably sleeping from 7ish for most of the evening, I moved the bedtime routine upstairs and put her down in her bedside crib upstairs obsessively checking on her every 20 mins until we went to bed

MessalinaOfTheSuburbs Sun 06-Sep-15 15:41:48

Thanks so much both!

I have totally tempted fate posting this though - last night DD developed a horrible cold and we had the worst night since she was a newborn - up every hour snotty and miserable!

Once she's better, if she hasn't completely forgotten her usual good habits, I'll be brave and try moving the evening sleep to the bedroom...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now