Talk

Advanced search

Sleeping in a bouncy chair

(7 Posts)
NickyEds Wed 02-Sep-15 13:55:34

Is this a bad idea? I have a 6 week old dd and we've had a month of trying and failing to get her to nap in a moses basket. She will however nap really well in her bouncy chair. It's a hand me down from ds so I don't have the instructions but I'm pretty sure they'll say it's a bad idea to let her nap in it. When ds was her age he napped on me or in the buggy/car seat if we were out and about but she obviously can't really nap on me, psb (poor second baby!!).

IWantFairyWings Wed 02-Sep-15 14:09:50

It's ok if you're watching her, the danger is because it's not flat, her head might drop forward and she'd suffocate, same as a car seat.

SilverHoney Wed 02-Sep-15 14:21:12

It's fine. She's comfy, you're watching her, she sleeps, everyone is a winner. I understand why there are safe sleep rules, but in real life you have to just do what's best for you and baby. Enjoy the peace and quiet smile

NickyEds Thu 03-Sep-15 09:27:29

Thanks. I was really hoping that the consensus would be that it's ok! She's fine (most of the time) in her moses at night just not in the day but will sleep so well in the chair.

FATEdestiny Thu 03-Sep-15 22:11:08

All of mine have had daytime naps in the bouncy chair until around 5 to 6 months. With me sat on the sofa with bouncy chair in front of me ready to bounce back to sleep at the first stirring.

Brilliant also great for allowing baby to get to sleep and stay asleep while simultaneously dealing with older sibling.

Also baby to get used to going to sleep separately to you (ie not being held or fed to sleep) which longer term makes it easier for baby to go to sleep in the cot, when ready.

Great to be able to bounce baby to sleep and bounce back to sleep at any wake up. But equally it is easy to wean off the bouncing, so that less and less bouncing is needed to help baby drift off to sleep.

The only thing is that this isn't a sleeping position to be left in unobserved. Also shouldn't be used when baby pulling to sit up, so plan to have stopped using by about 6 months.

But up to 6 months, I cannot over-state how brilliant a bouncy chair (and dummy) are for establishing long term good sleeping habits.

NickyEds Fri 04-Sep-15 10:08:42

With ds I vaguely remember whipping him out of the bouncy chair when he fell asleep confused. I really would rather avoid the sleeping only on me thing with dd-well tbh it just can't happen with having ds too. So far we've got to bouncy chair during the day, moses for first two sleeping spells at night and then in with us from 5ish in the morning. I'm keen to establish good habits- I think I made a bit of a meal of it with ds!!
After 6 weeks of perseverance she'll take a dummy now. I have felt a bit mean to carry on trying with it but practically every mum I know who hasn't used one has either had a thumb sucker or turned into a nipple dummy- both of which I'd rather avoid if I can.

QuiteLikely5 Fri 04-Sep-15 10:21:07

I let all mine sleep in the bouncy chair. I used to keep it with me until bedtime then just carry it up.

Mine could be used to sit or lie so once I took it up I used to lie it flat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now