Talk

Advanced search

Toddler wide awake at 2am

(6 Posts)
PastaPrincess Thu 27-Aug-15 07:26:39

DS was a crap sleeper until around a year. Since then he's got a lot better despite us making no changes to his bed time routine (bath, pyjamas, story, milk, teeth, cuddles and then into bed awake with a dummy). He is now 22 months old.

He now sleeps through the night fairly consistently, every few weeks we have a period where he won't settle at night or is up during the night, but these usually don't last longer than a week.

The last four nights have been a nightmare. When I've put him to bed he has requested milk, but then doesn't want it. I think he just wants to get out of bed. He eventually drifts off and is then wide awake at 2am.

When he wakes during the night we usually resort to bringing him into our bed.. we live in our flat and had complaints from upstairs neighbours when we tried the CIO method, so I feel that this is our only option. Standing over his cot and trying to soothe him result in him getting more excitable. When he comes into our bed, he starts trying to climb off, hitting us and generally being a shit. The only thing that will relax him enough to go back to sleep is milk. Every night he has gone back to sleep after a warm sippy cup and a cuddle.

I'm sure it's a phase and in a week or so he'll go back to normal, but I'm very anxious/convinced I'm doing a royally crap job of parenting and I worry that he's developing a sleep association with his milk at 2am.

Any advice? I would try letting him CIO if it wasn't for the neighbours.

Thanks, and apologies for the quality of my writing.. I work full time, have ME and the recent night wakings have turned me into a rambling zombie.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 27-Aug-15 07:39:41

Is he getting enough to eat in the day? Have you tried giving him something like ready brek before bed?

Thebirdsneedseeds Thu 27-Aug-15 07:47:37

My son did this a couple weeks ago. Up at 2am, awake til 5/6am or for the day. He's about the same age as your son. I think he had a front tooth coming through. But he was wide awake, woukdnt come into our bed, was shouting dooooowwwwn to go downstairs. A couple of times a cup of milk and more cuddles did calm him down enough to relax him back to sleep.

Honestly, if it's only every once in a while, just give him a cup of milk, at least it rules out that he might be thirsty.

It's so very frustrating though. I dread hearing him wake as he can go for hours before resettling.

PastaPrincess Thu 27-Aug-15 08:52:36

Thank you thebirds for being so reassuring! Hope you're back to peaceful nights now.

He has been a bit fussy with food recently. He loves breakfast but things get a bit tetchy after that. Last nights tea of carbonara (my phone auto corrected that to cardboard- thankfully I don't feed him that!) was refused so he ended up having weetabix with mashed banana and yoghurt, and then more fruit, bread sticks and soft cheese for pudding. This was around 6-6:30. He usually eats a bit earlier than that but I was trying to be persistent with the bloody carbonara.

Thebirdsneedseeds Thu 27-Aug-15 13:10:36

Maybe a mental leap? Or sometimes they just fuss for the sake of fuss. There's no knowing.

My friend said today - are you doing "proper" sleep or "just get as much as you can" sleep? We laughed. You can do everything by the book and correctly with no unwanted sleep associations and still end up exhausted with a tired and fraught toddler.

Or you can say bollocks to the rules and do what it takes to all be rested. I am currently cuddling to sleep and cuddling if he wakes in the night. Stuff it!

Do what needs done and don't beat yourself up over it. Any habits can be broken when the time is right but they're just small still smile

PastaPrincess Fri 28-Aug-15 20:26:07

Thank you smile

Last night didn't include a 2am waking and he ate all of his dinner.. normality has resumed for the time being. They love to keep us on our toes..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now