Talk

Advanced search

Replacement moses mattress for second baby?

(12 Posts)
coveredinsnot Sun 16-Aug-15 18:12:29

I know that the recommendation for mattresses and kids is to buy a new mattress for second hand cots etc, but we have a moses basket which my son slept in a handful of times when he was a baby 7 years ago. Aside from being dusty (yet washable) is there any reason to buy a new mattress for it for the new baby?

Zeitgeistic Sun 16-Aug-15 18:23:30

It is one of the recommendations to help prevent SIDS. I would buy a new one and did when I had DD2. Moses basket mattresses are v inexpensive - ASDA do one for £5.95.

Olivo Sun 16-Aug-15 18:24:29

We did, it was not very expensive. My first suffered from reflux so thought it was best. Isn't it to do with potential bacteria or something?

Buttercup27 Sun 16-Aug-15 18:26:10

We bought one and then used the old one as a mat to kneel on when playing with dc. It fits nicely under their toy kitchen and really saves the knees!

coveredinsnot Sun 16-Aug-15 18:27:44

Yes I think it's to do with bacteria. I only ask as I was about to order one today and my friend said she thought it didn't apply to siblings. She told me to wash it and air it and that it would be fine. I just think they're so cheap I'd just replace it but just wanted to check it out.

coveredinsnot Sun 16-Aug-15 18:28:23

Good idea buttercup!

seaoflove Sun 16-Aug-15 18:28:50

I did, purely because a replacement was so cheap.

HelenF35 Sun 16-Aug-15 19:53:55

They are really cheap, I would just replace.

Oly5 Sun 16-Aug-15 19:54:57

Replace it, not worth the risk

dementedpixie Sun 16-Aug-15 19:58:44

I reused the cot mattress that dd had for ds as it had a removable washable cover and the underneath was waterproof and could also be cleaned. There is a smaller risk with reusing for siblings that there is for a mattress that has come from another family

dementedpixie Sun 16-Aug-15 20:03:45

The lullaby trust says this:

It can be common to use a second-hand mattress either from friends and family, or from your previous children. There is some research that found an increased chance of SIDS when using a second-hand mattress although the link is not yet proven. To help reduce this risk, if you are using a second-hand mattress make sure the mattress you choose was previously completely protected by a waterproof cover, and then use one for your baby as well. The mattress should also still be firm and flat to keep your baby sleeping safely.

coveredinsnot Sun 16-Aug-15 21:35:26

Thanks! That's so helpful smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now