Talk

Advanced search

Can't get back to sleep at 4am

(7 Posts)
Chloris33 Tue 11-Aug-15 09:41:34

I find that if my baby wakes at around 4am I really struggle to get back to sleep afterwards. Other times of the night when he wakes I usually can get back to sleep, but there's something about 4am - must be where I am in my sleep cycle. It's so annoying as I've had a really tough time with ds's sleep & need all the sleep I can get. Anyone else experienced this? Anything help?

FATEdestiny Tue 11-Aug-15 14:21:19

This time of year I could struggle to get back to sleep following an early morning wake up. I think it is because it is light outside and no matter that we have blackout blinds, I can see the daylight round the edges and it does something to my psyche that says time to get up now.

I own one of those eye masks. I find it very useful for times when the baby wakes me, it is daylight but is still far too early to wake up.

I find putting the eye mask on and it helps me drift back to sleep. I also have foam earplugs - still allow me to hear baby but dulls down general sounds. Together the two seems to help. Worth a try?

Purpleboa Tue 11-Aug-15 21:00:25

Ah yes join the club - the 4am club! I know that after this feed, baby will awake again around 6 (if I'm lucky, sometimes it's 5), so it's vital I get some sleep. Brain just refuses to switch off though! Like you, I really am in need of sleep and I guess knowing that doesn't really help. I dream (awake of course!) of the day DD drops that particular feed.

I have an eye mask but get a bit freaked out by wearing it. Guess I'll just have to hold out for the darker days...

backtowork2015 Mon 17-Aug-15 22:08:57

me too, it's infuriating isn't it? usually happens after ive had a late night so I lie there getting worked up about how little sleep ive had and how I MUST get back to sleep. I'm not sure it really helps but my mum always said you don't have to be asleep just resting is enough to refresh you. Sometimes I tell myself this abd I think it calms me enough to actually fall back

nottheOP Tue 18-Aug-15 09:58:49

Try to think of something beginning with every letter of the alphabet and really concentrate on it - if you find your mind wandering get back to the task. I've never had to think of a fruit beginning with a Z!

backtowork2015 Thu 20-Aug-15 08:21:29

did this last night and it worked! ! thought of flowers/plants and remembered getting to about k which was a struggle bit I decided id allow kelp grin

nottheOP Thu 20-Aug-15 12:52:52

Haha, glad it worked. I too hated any night waking at all after a certain time. I think if i'd had more than a few hours sleep my mind would be whirring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now