Talk

Advanced search

When did you start putting baby to sleep upstairs?

(5 Posts)
imwithspud Mon 10-Aug-15 09:29:08

DD2 is 11 weeks on Wednesday and I've noticed lately that she gets disturbed with every day noises and DD1 shouting/playing when sleeping downstairs, so today I've decided to leave her moses basket upstairs and take her up there for naps to see if she can get a better quality sleep. Put her down for her first nap of the day at 8:45 and so far, so good. I'm wondering if this will help establish some sort of routine as well, I found things improved a lot when DD1 fell into a routine when she was a baby.

It's not to soon is it? I can't remember when I started putting DD1 upstairs for naps. When did everyone else start doing this?

LizzieLou3 Mon 10-Aug-15 15:06:27

Funnily enough I've just started trying this as well at around the same stage (11 weeks). Very mixed success though. He doesn't sleep easily in the day.

imwithspud Mon 10-Aug-15 16:04:51

Yeah I've found that mine only tends to sleep for a maximum of 45minutes at a time during the day unless we go out, over the past week I'd noticed her finding it more difficult to drop off downstairs because of all the noise and stimulation. She was getting woken up by an excitable toddler and I was finding myself telling my toddler to be quiet which isn't fair really. So far so good, although not been managing to get longer than 45minutes out of her but at least she's getting 45minutes undisturbed sleep so that's something.

FATEdestiny Mon 10-Aug-15 21:42:29

I wouldn't have any problem putting baby upstairs for daytime naps if baby sleeps, it is against SIDS recommendations though.

However, I would have a massive problem with exasperating a situation where baby need quiet to sleep. I go completely and totally the other way. With four children I have found the benefit of baby learning from newborn age to sleep with the noise of the rest of the family happening around them.

In fact my first child was such a precious sleeper who would wake at the slightest sound that when my second child was born I used to put him to sleep directly under an overhead light, in the lounge with toddler racing around, TV on and washing machine etc on.

Suffice to say that he was/is an excellent sleeper who sleeps very deeply.

imwithspud Tue 11-Aug-15 09:07:09

Thanks, DD2 has been sleeping in the living room during the day since the day we brought her home, whilst nearly 3 year old DD1 runs around causing chaos, all was well until a week or so ago when she started being disturbed by it and had trouble settling off resulting in a screaming over tired baby. Not fun. She also sleeps soundly in our room at night whilst me and oh lie in bed with the TV on, plus my oh snores, so I'm not to worried about creating a 'precious sleeper' so to speak.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now