Talk

Advanced search

How long does your nearly 2 year old nap for?

(13 Posts)
Bigbagofchips Mon 10-Aug-15 08:48:07

Hi, my 23 month DS has been consistently waking at 5am (bedtime is 7pm) for last couple of months and I'm wondering whether it's time to cut the amount of sleep he has at lunchtime. He currently naps at 12 noon for between 1.5 and 2 hours (would sometimes sleep longer if i didn't wake him up!).
I know all toddlers are different but just wondered how long others were napping for at this age? It would be great if he'd maybe sleep in until nearer 6am! Although I know changing his nap may well not affect this!
Thanks xx

Couldashouldawoulda Mon 10-Aug-15 20:13:26

I only let mine sleep for an hour now, between 1-2pm. He's 2 exactly. He'd happily sleep for much longer, but I found it was affecting his nighttime sleep if I let him. Definitely cut his nap back a lot, and see if that helps with the early waking!

Bigbagofchips Mon 10-Aug-15 21:00:22

Thanks Coulda. I think I've been avoiding facing into the fact that I need to shorten his nap. It's just so difficult as I really look forward to the 2 hours break I get in the middle of the day!! Xx

FranBrodie Mon 10-Aug-15 21:08:34

Dd is very nearly 2 and will have 3 hours 2-5 before I tell myself I really must wake her up. She's been waking a little earlier some mornings while it's been light though.

CheeseEMouse Mon 10-Aug-15 21:17:47

I think we are just about to restrict my daughter's nap for the same reason. She can sleep for up to 2 hours in the day and she's two this month. However we have just had an hour of messing about (singing mostly) at bed time.

roofio87 Mon 10-Aug-15 22:16:12

my ds is 22 months and I don't let him have more than an hour and definitely no sleeping past 2pm or it will be really late before he goes to sleep at night. He also doesn't nap every day anymore. He has never needed much day time sleep but does sleep well at night so probably won't be long till the nap is gone all together

thatsn0tmyname Mon 10-Aug-15 22:18:01

1 1/2 hour tops, or we'll have trouble at bedtime.

Lindorballs Mon 10-Aug-15 22:20:03

My DD is 22 months. On days she's at home she naps for at least 2 hours sometimes slightly more. On her 3 days at nursery it's quite a bit less (45 mins-1 hour 15 usually and occasionally none at all!), so I think she makes it up on days off. She sleeps pretty well at night except when she's teething and nighttime sleep doesn't seem to be affected much by her daytime naps at the moment so think she still needs it. That said today she had her nap really late and has only just gone to bed. Definitely needs to be up before 3.

Helspopje Mon 10-Aug-15 22:20:12

Sleeps 12:30-3 or 4 then back down 7-7
If I restrict he sleeps less well at night and is fractious
Doesn't look like he wants or needs to go at 12:30 but usually rolls over and cuddles his soft toy when he gets into bed

Bigbagofchips Tue 11-Aug-15 05:00:24

It's really interesting to see how they're all so different. I definitely need to do something though as we've now had a couple of mornings where he's yelling 'mummy' at 4.30am ��.
I think I may try shortening it gradually and see whether that makes any difference and maybe compensate with a slightly earlier bedtime as he's going to be shattered after his early starts.
What fun! X

pretend Tue 11-Aug-15 05:11:35

Have you tried a gro clock? My youngest is 2.5 and just starting to understand that it's not morning until the clock turns yellow.

He sleeps 1.5-2 hours, sometimes longer, from 12:30pm. He's so awful if he's woken that he sleeps as long as he wants, but I don't find it affects night time too much so I let him be.

Bigbagofchips Tue 11-Aug-15 05:32:34

I do have a Gro clock as I used it with his older sister. I think at the moment he wouldn't understand but will definitely use in the future if he doesn't start sleeping later!

pretend Tue 11-Aug-15 05:57:14

I used it for quite a few months before he really started to take notice of it. Might be worth putting it in his room so at least he starts to grasp the concept. Just set it to whatever time he usually wakes at first so that he gets used to getting up to the sunshine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now