Talk

Advanced search

Sleeping in bouncer during the day

(19 Posts)
zahaziland Mon 10-Aug-15 08:44:47

My DS is 8 weeks old, and at night has been sleeping in his cot (in our bedroom) since he was born. At the beginning it used to take a fair bit of time to get him settled, but now he sleeps quite well at night, and will also go back to sleep quite easily after night feeds.

However, after 6am, he will no longer go back to sleep in the cot, even if he is sleepy. He will nap in my arms, but not in the cot. This applies the whole day - I am trying to get him to take at least the afternoon nap in his cot, but it is often difficult.

As a result, he will either nap in my arms, or in his bouncer (this one: www.amazon.co.uk/Chicco-Easy-Relax-4079089700000-Rocker/dp/B00EF03TWC/ref=sr_1_9?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1439192408&sr=1-9). Is this ok? Can he sleep during the day in his bouncer?

Thanks for any advice

Cumberlover76 Mon 10-Aug-15 08:47:51

Have you tried a nice soft structured sling or wrap sling at home? DD used to be very happy in it when she was small and would sleep in there. I could get on with stuff, she was happy and I could sit or lie on sofa with her strapped to me. I used a wrap.

icklekid Mon 10-Aug-15 08:48:05

I would say you are incredibly lucky that he sleeps in his cot at night normally have the opposite problem! Bouncer probably isn't recommended for long sleeps (much like car seat) however I wouldn't worry and be happy for my ds to. I would keep trying cot every now and again or pushchair if reclines flat.

Cumberlover76 Mon 10-Aug-15 08:49:22

I used one of these I got on eBay [[[[

Cumberlover76 Mon 10-Aug-15 08:51:17

Oops post fail! hugabub sling also have a Manduca sling which I can't recommend enough can be used from newborn to 20kg. We still use for DD who is 3.5. Great buy.

zahaziland Mon 10-Aug-15 09:21:42

Thanks, I have this sling: www.amazon.co.uk/Je-Porte-Mon-Bébé-Almost/dp/B00KBJPXWA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439194717&sr=8-1&keywords=je+porte+mon+bebe+basic

which I use when I am out and about, but I hadn't thought of using it in the house... It will help me get on with some things during the day.

I guess I would really love to nap at the same time as my DS, and obviously a sling will not help that issue. But during the day he just will not sleep in his cot! I have tried letting him fall asleep in my arms, and then carry him gently to his cot, but he wakes up 15 seconds after being put down...

DixieNormas Mon 10-Aug-15 09:24:57

Mine all napped in their bouncy chairs in the day, ds4 was still doing it until just before he turned two

CurlsLDN Mon 10-Aug-15 09:25:29

Ds sounds similar to yours, he's over one now, but always settled well in his moses basket at night (lucky us! I seriously count my blessings for that)
He often napped in his bouncer in the day, no problem at all

Twothirdsamidwife Mon 10-Aug-15 09:40:25

Anything sloped ie car seat, bouncer, swing etc puts weight and pressure on the base of baby's spine and is generally not good for position, comfort or growth.
Babies should sleep (or spend long periods of time) flat - this means there is no pressure concentrated on one area of spine

Cots, cribs, Moses baskets, baby gyms or even a padded blanket on the floor are where baby should spend time not in your arms.

Tummy time is v important and should again be on a flat surface -
Look up the damage the wrong type of slings or car seats can do to baby's hips and spine!!!

CurlsLDN Mon 10-Aug-15 09:56:28

While I agree with what a lot of twothirdsamidwife has said (our bouncer fully reclined) what on earth do you mean that babies should spend time on the floor etc 'not in your arms'? Unless I'm misunderstanding that sounds very very odd.
Also, a baby being held in your arms upright against your chest or shoulder works the same neck and back muscles as tummy time. That is the advice given to me by Dr's as my ds had bad reflux and would vomit and cry on his tummy.

mummaryfudge Mon 10-Aug-15 10:09:44

My now 14 month old boy would only sleep in arms or sling at that age. It was a breakthrough when we got him to sleep in the bouncy chair at around 10 to 12 weeks and I'm sure it was a step towards getting him to sleep on his own in his cot for naps. From the bouncy chair we progressed to rocking him to sleep in the pram (initially he'd only sleep like this for 5 minutes but gradually it increased). I can't remember how old he was when he started having a nap on his own in the cot, maybe 5 months. When he was napping in the bouncer I'd get comfy on the sofa with one foot bouncing and use it as an opportunity to have a rest or a read (not quite the same as getting into bed of course though!).
I think some babies really need the comfort or the movement for sleep and that it's completely normal. It can take awhile to get them to sleep on their own but they do get there. I always worried that I was doing something wrong but wish I'd just relaxed and enjoyed a long cuddle while he slept more often, this stage doesn't last long.

Cumberlover76 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:18:02

Also make sure cot/basket is warm. I used to keep a warm hot water bottle in the basket and remove before putting DD in, as she would notice the temperature difference from my body when put in the basket and wake up. Just make sure the bed isn't too hot so have bottle warm, and or wrapped in a towel when it's in the basket.

plummyjam Mon 10-Aug-15 12:38:58

Twothirdsamidwife - babies are designed to be carried in your arms! Why else would our nipples be at the level of our elbows?

Babies only need tummy time to prevent flat heads which are caused by lying in cribs, cots and on playmats all day.

To the OP - it's fine to let your baby nap in a bouncing chair.

zahaziland Mon 10-Aug-15 14:46:06

thanks for the various replies. twothird, I am aware of the potential issues with small babies and curved supports, which is to a certain extent why i posted the original question. My understanding though it that is not completely black/white issue, and it is unclear to me how much time in said supports is too much?

I actually managed to catch a quick nap while my DS naps in his (completely reclined) bouncer.

While my DS health and safety is of paramount importance to me, I am also aware that he will benefit from a slightly less tired mum! Trying to find the right balance there...

I like the idea of warming his cot, I'll give it a go!

zahaziland Mon 10-Aug-15 14:47:46

Oh, and btw, my DS hates tummy time, I do try to have some each day, to reinforce his nick and upper body muscles, but he really doesn't like it. He just remains there immobile and looking upset until I turn him over.

DixieNormas Mon 10-Aug-15 15:30:42

All mine hated tummy time

CurlsLDN Mon 10-Aug-15 19:07:04

Well due to ds reflux I did tummy time perhaps three times with him, and yet he was one of the earlier ones to roll/sit/crawl. Honestly, holding them upright, or lying them on your chest while you lie on the sofa does just the same

FATEdestiny Mon 10-Aug-15 21:25:51

Sitting on the sofa, cup of tea in hand, foot bouncing the baby to sleep in the bouncy chair - the Godsend of brilliant daytime sleep method.

All four of my children have had daytime naps in the bouncy chair until about 6 months old when naps became longer and moved into the big cot upstairs.

Pico2 Mon 10-Aug-15 22:03:03

I'd do whatever works for you. A bouncy chair for naps is probably fine - it is less scrunched up than a car seat. My DD will take short naps in her cot, but naps for longer on me. About once a week she will nap for 3 hours on me. I tend to position her so that she can't fall down beside me or lie on my bed with her and sleep with her so that I get a nap too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now