Talk

Advanced search

can't sleep when baby sleeps :-(

(3 Posts)
Divaahh7 Fri 07-Aug-15 12:27:58

Hi,
My baby is almost 4 weeks old and I can't seem to sleep when he sleeps. I have a two year old who needs my attention during the day and I'm exhausted. I had such a terrible night last night. Baby slept well and I only managed maybe an hour. I'm so desperate. I have started taking fluoxetine 20mg in the morning. I'm on day 3. I also take zopiclone when hubby is looking after the baby which I would rather not as I don't want to be dependent on sleeping pills. I had Pnd with my first and similar symptoms but had a lot of help to look after baby as mum was around. Anyone who's taken fluoxetine for Pnd and it helped with their insomnia? Any tips? HELP

christinarossetti Fri 07-Aug-15 13:02:59

It sounds like you need to go back to your GP very promptly.

Call and, if you can't get an appointment today, at least ask to speak with your GP about your acute insomnia and risk of PND.

LHReturns Fri 07-Aug-15 18:10:56

OP I have suffered from insomnia since well before I had a child, and after having a baby 14 months ago it got worse again. Pre- pregnancy, Venlafaxine worked well on my insomnia after a few weeks; post- pregnancy and PND, I have been taking 10mg of escitalopram which has also worked well for my sleep. It took about 4 weeks to work this time. But the sleep is much better quality than sleeping pills!

Stick with it...it will work. Prozac works in exactly the same way as escitalopram.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now