Talk

Advanced search

Long term problems if child, 5, still goes to sleep with one of us in room?

(5 Posts)
nosleepat10 Wed 05-Aug-15 19:19:46

Our daughter still likes one of us to stay with her till she is asleep. She is 5 and husband and me don't mind. We quite like the quiet time at the end of the day with her and to give her that reassurance. She did go to sleep on her own for a while when she was 2/3 after gradual retreat, and she sleeps ok when babysitter leaves her or grandparents. So she can do it, but after a bad experience with (other) grandparents, we've sort of gone back.
She also woke up much more in the night when we left her to go to sleep on her own, so we'd rather do this than having bad nights.
Has anyone who's done the same found that it affected their children in the long run, and did the child decide at a certain age they just didn't want you there any more?

MrsEvadneCake Wed 05-Aug-15 19:23:12

I did it until my DS was seven, then he swapped rooms from sharing and was happy on his own. Still do it with younger one. I found they settled faster and slept better. The older one now happily reads and goes to sleep. I'll stop when DS is ready. If you enjoy it and she self settles in the night then for now I would say go ahead.

Jux Wed 05-Aug-15 19:42:56

I did it with dd, as we'd had so many major disruptions she found it really hard to settle alone. I think she was 7ish by the time she wanted to sleep alone in her room.

No problems now. She's 16 next week. So no, no long-term problems.

Noggie Wed 05-Aug-15 19:51:35

We did it with dd1 - she was a colicky baby and a Velcro toddler..... At 5.5 we moved dd2 into her room and said that she had to be the big girl now and go to sleep on her own (,dd2 had always been happy to do so).... she looked a bit surprised and then was ok...and is now 9.5 and a great sleeper- so I wouldn't worry- just try and choose a good moment to say this is what is going to happen now and stick to it. Could be a holiday/house move etc They arnt little for long so enjoy her enjoying your company!

nosleepat10 Wed 05-Aug-15 20:59:18

Noggie that's our feeling exactly. She is a very affectionate girl and it's so lovely. Thanks for the replies and glad to read that all of your children did fine in the end. We intend to give it a bit longer, and just see how she goes with her first sleepovers etc. School trip is not on the cards yet for a few years, but think that that (or rainbow trip eg) would be our incentive to get her used to us not being there. Husband just came down, apparently she was out like a light (the doubts come on the other nights when it takes aaaages.. smile).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now