Talk

Advanced search

Exhausted by six month old's sleep patterns

(6 Posts)
Fairylights2021 Sat 01-Aug-15 19:53:09

My lo is almost 7 months old and I'm really struggling with her sleep patterns. She has never been a good sleeper but we were making some progress until about a month ago when she became really unsettled again ( wonder week followed by teething). We had got to the point where she had a fairly regular nap routine and although she couldn't self settle I was able to soothe her to sleep in her cot fairly quickly. She has always got up in the first hour each evening and then several times in the night too. The last month I have been back to having to cuddle her to sleep and she wakes anything from every 20 mins to every hour until I go to bed and recently when she wakes past 12pm she is wide awake for ages or sleepy but takes anything up to an hour to re settle. She is bf and is still in my room, as when I've tested out her sleeping in her nursery I'm up even more with her. I'm finding it really hard as I'm so tired, can't ever pop out in the evenings and never get a break and it's really getting me down spending so much of my time in a dark room trying to settle her. My husband is great with her and she adores him but if he tries to help me out and settle her to sleep at night she screams until I take her and calms down the second she's in my arms so it's all down to me. I adore her but I really need a bit of a break but I can't bear to try cry it out or controlled crying. Does anyone have any advice or tips?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 01-Aug-15 21:53:02

Sorry, haven't got much to help you with but have been there and it does get better smile

Have a read of 31 ways to get your baby to sleep and stay asleep.

I haven't read sweet sleep but have heard good things and I think it might suit your style smile

Fairylights2021 Sat 01-Aug-15 22:29:34

Thank you I'll have a look at both. It's tough isn't it I keep telling myself it's just a phase and I'm sure I'll miss all these cuddles soon but I'm just dying for a tiny bit of me time too xxx

Fairylights2021 Sat 01-Aug-15 22:42:53

Thank you so much, I've just read the article, it was just what I needed to read. I've been trusting my instincts and have always adopted a very gentle parenting style and gone with my gut instinct but criticism from family about my lg being too reliant on me combined with tiredness have been making me question if I was going wrong. The article has reassured me that doing what feels natural is right for me and definitely best for my lg who has always been quite unsettled and needy. I'll try and make the most of the night time snuggles while they last and in time hopefully we'll make some progress again x

mariposa10 Sat 01-Aug-15 23:26:57

I'm having very similar issues with my DS who is the same age, he has never been a good sleeper but I have until recently been able to rock him and feed to sleep and then transfer to the cot. However, in the last week he has been waking up every time I transfer him to the cot and it means we start bedtime at 7 and he doesn't go to sleep until after 11 when he is finally so exhausted he will let me put him down. Spending my evenings in a dark room is making me feel stressed, as much as I don't expect my baby to magically sleep through and don't mind night wakings particularly.

I'm not happy with the current situation at all as I know he needs his sleep and I'm also getting a lot of comments from family about leaving him to cry, which I really don't want to do because I think he is too young to understand what's going on. I'm also going back to work shortly and worry about how his sleep will affect us all. So just wanted to sympathise! He's just started to 'crawl' about (not proper crawling) so I think he's going through a lot developmentally and I'm really hoping it's just a phase. It's just comforting to read that other people are going through a similar thing!

Fairylights2021 Sun 02-Aug-15 13:23:06

It sounds like our babies are very similar. It's exhausting isn't it, my lg is exactly the same she's often woken frequently and like you've I've never minded getting up to feed her in the night it's the not being able to resettle her or her waking again as soon as I pop her in her cot that's driving me crazy. Like you I keep getting lots of comments from family about leaving her to cry or starting to formula feed but don't want to go down that route. My lg isn't yet crawling but has recently learnt to sit on her own and is getting more and more mobile. She often waves her arms and legs around a lot when I'm trying to get her to sleep and this prevents her from dropping off or wakes her when I pop her in her cot, like you I'm hoping it's just a phase.

I'm sorry to hear you're having similar issues but it's comforting to know I'm not the only one as the girls in my antenatal group all have babies who sleep fairly well. I hope your little one settles again soon. Let me know if you find anything that helps x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now