Talk

Advanced search

Is my 8.5 month old hungry at night?

(9 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Fri 31-Jul-15 03:05:33

Long story short, my breastfed (and now weaning) baby slept 12 hrs a night from the age of 5 to 7months old. Then we went to Spain where she woke 3 times a night. It was very hot (35degrees) and I was concerned she was thirsty so just nursed her each time.

Ever since, she has been waking at least once a night.

I have, quite feebly, tried sleep training. Everyone (HV/GP) reasurres she she no longer needs milk at night for nutrition. Yet I can't help thinking she's hungry. She's weaning and having 3 meals a day, but they are very small meals:

Here's her eating/milk schedule:

7am: Breast milk (medium sized feed)
7.30am: 1 x Weetabix with full fat milk and apple purée (she manages about 1/4 of it)
9.30am: Breastmilk (medium feed) then nap
10.30am: Wakes
12pm: Lunch is usually toast with cream cheese (3 small soldiers), a yoghurt and a Ella's kitchen fruity pouch
2pm: Breastmilk (small feed) and nap.
3pm: Wakes
5pm: Dinner. For example a small omelette (about 6 mouthfuls), a banana and a mini tub of rice pudding.
7pm: Breastmilk (medium feed) and bed.

At 1am she is consistently waking and having a very big milk feed. Is this because she is hungry? Or is it comfort?

If hunger... Do I need to feed her more in the day? More BM or solids? Would adding a few Formula Feeds into the day help?

I'm trying this sleep training (Sleep Sense) half heartedly because I'm concerned she's hungry. So it's inconsistent and not working.

But what if she IS hungry????

FastWindow Fri 31-Jul-15 03:08:37

My sister advocates ready brek at bedtime, obviously far mushier then for adults, to get them through.

FastWindow Fri 31-Jul-15 03:08:57

*than. Sorry.

Bellyrub1980 Fri 31-Jul-15 03:13:39

I might try that. Would porridge have the same effect?

Is it normal for an 8 months old only to have about 6 spoonfuls of porridge before getting full?

(Sorry for random questions.... I'm feeling slightly delirious!)

PotteringAlong Fri 31-Jul-15 03:51:37

She might be hungry - just feed her, it won't last forever.

Scissor Fri 31-Jul-15 04:26:17

Eeady Brek is just ground porridge with added vitamins so smoother and quicker to make than lumpy porridge, check out the ingredients, no added sugars etc

Though mine are now long grown they loved it and it did seem to fill any gaps.

12 hours through and naps? My 16 year old is now envy easily managing that. although the sleep starts at 10pm and ends at noon, with a siesta at about 3 when the telly gets boring ..can't remember the first 7 years ..all a blur of very awake child..but Ready Brek def helped! Don't remember ever counting it ... was way too addled with lack of sleep, just remember being grateful when any went in so about 6 spoons at 8.5 months sounds fine...

newtothenet Fri 31-Jul-15 04:38:47

My almost 8 month old is still having three feeds a night. This is the best she's ever slept (never slept through). Under advice we tried to drop the first (10pm) feed by cuddling her back to sleep but it took twice as long as feeding her back to sleep and she always woke up half an hour later. My health visitor said to keep feeding her at night because she's hungry. My first was 15 months old before she slept through for the first time so I'm expecting similar this time. Well done on the naps as well! My DD seems to have given them up already, although she's not quite ready for it and spends the afternoon being grumpy. It seems you're doing a great job - keep up the feeding if it works best for you, you'll get your sleep back eventually!

Bellyrub1980 Sun 02-Aug-15 12:55:14

Ok, I ditched the sleep training and just fed her as usual for the last few nights. And then last night she sleeps 12 hours straight!! Go figure!!

PotteringAlong Sun 02-Aug-15 21:42:31

grin babies, no rhyme or reason!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now