Talk

Advanced search

18 Month will only nap in buggy

(4 Posts)
Sauu9123 Tue 28-Jul-15 16:04:07

My 18 month will only nap whilst being pushed in his buggy. This means that, when he is not at nursery, I spend 2 hours a day wheeling him around. At nursery they use a rocker to get him off to sleep and, apparently, he sleeps in the cot for 2 hours plus. Does anybody have any tips for getting him to sleep in his cot at home?

weebairn Thu 30-Jul-15 21:00:35

We had this with DD1, a good night sleeper but a terrible napper. She was a bit older when we put our foot down, just over 2 yrs. I had a newborn and couldn't spend ages every day wheeling her around the block till she fell asleep!
Similarly at nursery she went to sleep when they patted her hmm

So we did a lot of explaining that she had to nap on the bed, and for 3-4 days there was a lot of crying and tantrumming. But she started doing it, and generally naps have been a LOT easier since. Now she is coming up to 3 and will go to her room and nap by herself at lunchtime when I tell her to…

So there is hope…

The key for me was to stop "tricking" her into falling asleep, and instead being totally honest and clear (and firm) that now it was nap time. Took some work, though, and she was a bit older than yours.

weebairn Thu 30-Jul-15 21:01:13

She found a bed / sofa preferable to a cot, for what it's worth.

lexyloub Fri 31-Jul-15 06:39:57

Can you try and get him to nap on the sofa or on your bed then you can get a little snooze too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now