Talk

Advanced search

Co sleeping with new born.

(14 Posts)
Nottalotta Tue 28-Jul-15 08:04:09

Specifically, the baby on the bed, not alongside. He so far has spent a maximum for an hour and half sleeping in his moses basket. Its not that he wont sleep, or that he wants to be held, just that he wont settle in the basket. If i put him in my bed on his own, he will sleep. He has so far (2 nights...) slept between us, on top of the duvet. He slept for 3 hourslike that, then another 2.5 which i thought was great!

Just want to know how other people manage this sort of thinhg? Do you use a sleeping 'pod'? If so what? DH is very good at not moving in the night and aware of where he is so not worried about him squashing baby.

BreeVDKamp Tue 28-Jul-15 08:08:07

Exactly the same situation here. DS is sometimes in the middle, sometimes on the outside depending which boob he is/was feeding from. We've just put his cot up (he's 9 weeks now) and he stays in it fine until his first skit but then I can't be bothered to listen to him grunting etc when I put him back in blush so he just ends up back in bed with us. I didn't plan on co-sleeping but here we are! I don't plan on it long term though.

BreeVDKamp Tue 28-Jul-15 08:08:36

First skit??? First waking!!!!

ThoseAwfulCurtains Tue 28-Jul-15 08:17:37

Could you wear a soft t shirt all day then smooth it flat under his cot sheet so it smells of you? Might be comforting enough so he settles.

ThoseAwfulCurtains Tue 28-Jul-15 08:20:14

Disclaimer - I know nothing about current sleeping advice as my youngest is 14 and all were co sleepers from day 1 as advised by super hospital midwife

AnythingNotEverything Tue 28-Jul-15 08:24:42

We're cosleeping with a newborn too. Not every night, and not all night, but certainly regularly.

Lots of families use a sleepyhead but we've just got her on top of the covers and away from pillows, and I sort of curl around her. She sleeps in between us but we don't drink and DH is a very light sleeper.

Nottalotta Tue 28-Jul-15 09:40:26

Thats how we are anything. I've been advised not to use a duvet or pillows but really the whole point is that we ALL get some sleep!

Poor DH gets up for work at 4am.

We have had him on top of duvet, below boob height. I sleep in fetal position so baby is below my arm and above my knee/thighs.

FATEdestiny Tue 28-Jul-15 11:35:57

Have you thought about a side-car cot?

Just take one side completely off a regular cot and butt it up to your side of the bed. It kind of extends the space in the bed, allowing you to almost cuddle into the cot, baby right next to you with no barrier. However it ensures baby gets his own space and no duvet/pillow risks.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 28-Jul-15 17:18:41

Notta- we're currently sleeping under just a tip sheet thanks to warm weather and postnatal night sweats (lovely, eh?) but baby is at boob height so no chance of getting under the pillows.

Sounds like you're doing all the things advised to keep everyone safe. Get as much sleep as you can smile

SirPercyPilkington Tue 28-Jul-15 17:28:10

We have co slept since birth.
I kept duvet below my waist/hips and just wore a thicker PJ top with boob access. I had one pillow for me, kept high out of the way. Taut fitted sheet on the bottom and baby in a blanket or grobag.
I also kicked DP out to spare room as he was nervous. He came back once bambino was bigger and more kicky

We Co slept like you describe until 12 weeks after first feed, now we are side carring with the side off the cot. Been nearly 3 weeks and we all sleep better. She sleeps longer in the first stint because she's not far from me and rolls to me when she wants a feed which is lovely grin

eurochick Tue 28-Jul-15 22:55:44

Have a look at the safe co sleeping guidelines. You don't need a sleepyhead if you don't want one, but it is advised not to have the baby between you and well away from duvets and pillows.

I found I was too worried about rolling to successfully co-sleep but we used a bednest sidecar cot which worked really well for us.

bittapitta Tue 28-Jul-15 22:58:00

The best practice guidance says never to have baby between you both as she might overheat. You could get a bed guard or prop your side of the bed against a wall to ensure she doesn't fall out.

5madthings Tue 28-Jul-15 22:59:35

Co sleeping is fine when done safely, I have done it with all my five. Bur baby sleeping on top of the duvet is not safe, it is too soft baby can get smothered or over heat. Duvet needs to be away from baby, I had it round my waist with a light blanket on top half, often one of those cellular cot blankets.

Please look up the safe Co sleeping guidelines, I think the who has them online?

And congratulations on your baby, enjoy those newborn snuggles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now