Talk

Advanced search

What age did you let your baby sleep in thier own room

(46 Posts)
taralisa89 Mon 20-Jul-15 16:03:24

My baby boy is 3months old and last night was his first night sleeping in his own bedroom in his cot. He sleeps in a cosy dream mould so he can't wriggle nowhere. At what ages did your little ones sleep alone

GoooRooo Mon 20-Jul-15 16:05:34

6 months. I vaguely remember that that was the guidance to prevent cot death and that's why - the guidance may have changed, that was three years ago. He slept much, much better in his own room.

53rdAndBird Mon 20-Jul-15 16:06:43

Still in with us at 16 months.

TheRachel Mon 20-Jul-15 16:08:20

6 months + with all 3.

dementedpixie Mon 20-Jul-15 16:10:40

about 8 months with both

dementedpixie Mon 20-Jul-15 16:11:17

guidance is to keep them in the same room for 6 months

ALittleFaith Mon 20-Jul-15 16:13:11

6 months. It's recommended to lower the SIDS risk. We had to move DD because by 6 months us coming to bed was disturbing her.

Iloveonionchutney Mon 20-Jul-15 16:13:36

My daughter was 12 weeks and we all slept better for it, although the house we were in at the time was so small that she was no further away than if we had a large bedroom and the doors were always open. We would never have fit her cot in our room and she hated her basket by then.

elelfrance Mon 20-Jul-15 16:15:19

Mine was 4 weeks old - we couldn't sleep with all the noise she was making (newborn snoring...hilarious really !) and every time we moved/talked/dropped something on the floor, she would wake up.
Everyone slept way better when she moved into her own room, which was just the other side of a wall

Archer26 Mon 20-Jul-15 16:21:11

My DS was 8 weeks. He was such a noisy sleeper! I know it's against guidelines but my even my midwife said do what works for you.

Our bedroom is big and he is actually nearer to us now than he was in our room (with a wall in between now obvs).

He is now 12 weeks and has slept through for the past week. I'm pretending the words 4 month sleep regression don't exist. wink

AliMonkey Mon 20-Jul-15 16:33:19

When they came out of hospital so 4 days for DD and two days for DS. Against the advice re six months but we decided it was the only way to retain our sanity, ie DH at least getting a decent nights sleep each night as otherwise he is a nightmare. Was impressed that others managed to stick with the advice and stay sane and married.

53rdAndBird Mon 20-Jul-15 16:40:07

Was impressed that others managed to stick with the advice and stay sane and married.

For us it was the other way round - if I'd had to actually get out of bed and leave the room several times a night for the sake of preserving DH's sleep, I don't think my sanity or our marriage would have lasted a week!

Bythepath Mon 20-Jul-15 16:43:27

All 3 of mine went straight into their own room. I know its not the guidelines but it worked for us.

SaulGood Mon 20-Jul-15 16:46:54

We coslept and let the dc decide. I breastfed and it was so much easier to just feed them in my sleep. DD was 2 and a half when she started going to bed in her own room and DS is 3 and flits between the two.

fhdl34 Mon 20-Jul-15 16:54:00

DD a year, DS is still in with us at 20 months until we move house.
I don't know what a cosy dream mould is but please be aware your child is likely to start rolling soon, quite involuntarily, and will often be able to roll one way and not the other. If there is even the tiniest chance your baby could roll and get its face covered by the side of this mould, you should remove it. I follow Justice For Preston on FB and am frequently reminded of the risks of cot death and the guidelines to avoid it. I am not judging you but as the baby is no longer in with you it is even more important that he is safe. I hope you don't offence at my post, I just worry for babies with stuff in their cot so young. I had an antiroll thing bought for me and both babies were still quite able to roll over in it so I took it out.

Ragwort Mon 20-Jul-15 16:56:44

About six days - and yes, I know it's not recommended but none of us slept well with DS in the room and he slept really well - 7pm - 7am with one quick night feed (and two long naps every day, in his own room).

Awaits flaming ................

eckythumpenallthat Mon 20-Jul-15 16:56:59

4 weeks.

Severe reflux meant she barely slept anyway so me and DH got very little sleep so we put her in her room early so whoever was up with her allowed the other to get a few precious moments of sleep

TheRachel Mon 20-Jul-15 17:37:02

I don't mind what anyone else chooses to do, but I was terrified of SIDS so followed the guidelines exactly.

AliMonkey Mon 20-Jul-15 19:14:43

53rd - I see where you are coming from but we concluded that as breastfeeding I would be knackered either way and having two of us that way would be a disaster. I did on occasion bring them into bed with us to feed lying down but it never helped my sleep (I still can't sleep if one of them is in bed with us, 10 years later!)

taralisa89 Mon 20-Jul-15 22:41:11

Thanks everyone. Iv had a think and managed to fit his cot next to my bed, so i can be right next to him.

sweetkitty Mon 20-Jul-15 22:44:44

DD1 15 months
DD2 13 months
DD3 13 months
DS two and a half but that was because his room wasn't built as we needed an extension

I would have got a lot less sleep if we weren't cosleeping as I would have been up and down constantly in the night to check on them, we had a bedside cot which is amazing.

Frumpplump Mon 20-Jul-15 22:46:15

Dd went straight into her own room. Dc will be the exact same, it works well for us.

minipie Mon 20-Jul-15 23:19:26

About 12/13 weeks with both DC.

Woodenheart Mon 20-Jul-15 23:24:15

2 years old, although shes only spent 2 nights in her room so far grin

Shes asleep right beside me now, Im just going with it, It doesn't bother me.

worldsworstmum2015 Tue 21-Jul-15 06:20:28

Dc1 was 7 weeks dc2 was 9 months (because she was going to share with dc1) dc3 is likely to be longer as he currently doesn't have a room to move in to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now