Talk

Advanced search

17 months & sleep is suddenly awful! Any ideas?

(3 Posts)
confusedofengland Sun 19-Jul-15 21:37:54

DS3 is 17 months tomorrow. He has always been a pretty good sleeper, going through the night from a few months, self-settling, good with naps etc. He's had a few periods where he would wake in the middle of the night for long stretches of time (up to 4 hours shock), but these seemed to be linked to a burst eardrum & then a developmental leap.

His sleep now, however, has just gone really bad & I'm not sure why. He seems to get very tired in the evening & be ready for bed & some nights will settle OK, but then he'll wake up a couple of hours later. When he does it will be again for up to 4 hours & he just seems very wide awake & ready to play. He'll then get up at the usual time in the morning. If this doesn't happen, then some nights he just won't go to sleep in the first place, sometimes needing an extra couple of hours before he will go down.

We don't really know what to do. We've tried bringing him downstairs & watching TV or playing quietly. We've tried medicine, more milk, back rubbing, rocking, singing. We've tried a lavender body lotion applied before bedtime. The latest thing is that DH is sitting in the room with DS but not engaging with him at all, but he's been up there for about an hour now & it's still not worked sad

Any ideas on what we can do? Is this another common sleep regression? Do we need to drop his nap - he'll usually have about 3 hours from 11.30-2.30ish? Please help!

chocolatedrops31 Mon 20-Jul-15 19:27:00

I would cut the nap majorly. Sounds like he's under tired. My twins are also 17 months and sleep from 1:30-3 pm and then generally sleep 12 hours at night. We recently had to cut their nap from 2 hours to 1.5 because we were getting early morning wake ups and doing so more or less instantly solved the problem. Apparently a lot of babies this age suddenly start needing less sleep in the day but this can increase again as they near the age of 2. Hope that helps

Raspberryberet1 Mon 20-Jul-15 22:37:46

Yep, cut the nap. DS has just turned 18 months and used to nap from 11.30-2 and go down at night at 7 without any fuss. That was until about 3 weeks ago, when he would be put down at 7 and still singing away and banging the bars in his cot until 8.30-9pm.

I pushed his nap back until 12-12.15 and wake him no later than 2. Pushed his bedtime back 15m and he's started (touch wood) to go to sleep straight away. He was grumpy for about 10 days but it's worth it to get evenings back.

I'd also reccomend doing a tiring activity in the afternoon. DS spent today thundering around the muddy garden on his toy tractor in the pissing rain. He was shattered after 45m

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now