Talk

Advanced search

16 week old night time routine

(2 Posts)
WittgensteinsBunny Fri 17-Jul-15 17:58:23

Dd2 is 16 weeks old. She will occasionally go to sleep in her Moses basket awake but sleepy. More often than not she falls asleep on the boob. I bring her into our bed if she's fractious. We co-slept with Dd1 (now 2). I'm just asking how you put your baby to bed / bedtime routine as Dd1 was hellish at sleeping and is just in her own room sleeping through. If I can avoid 2 years of sharing and hellish several-time-a-night waking I'd like too. I think I must be the issue, so just wondering if I'm missing something obvious.

FATEdestiny Fri 17-Jul-15 21:46:48

When she falls asleep on the boob, could you lift her onto your shoulder and wind her a little bit? Even if she doesn't need winding, the idea is to rouse her just a teeny tiny bit (but mostly she is still milk drunk dozing) and then put her in the cot. Consistently doing that and over time she can be slightly less fast asleep when putting to bed.

Also try and comfort her without picking her up - by putting a hand on her maybe and shushing. I had my children in a bedside cot from birth. So this meant that I could cuddle up to baby and calm back to sleep with me lying right into the cot - which meant baby got used to being settled in the cot (rather than being picked up), from birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now