Talk

Advanced search

Putting three to bed by myself

(4 Posts)
Chumpster Wed 15-Jul-15 20:15:47

Hello - wondered if anyone had any tips for me at bedtime as I'm having a few probs at the mo. I generally have to put all 3 of mine to bed by myself they are 7, 3.5 and 16mnths. I put one to bed after the other in age order. I get the little ones ready and then its bottle for baby and bed by 6.45ish, then story and milk for 3.5 yr old by 7. ANd then spend some time with 7yr old till 8. This used to work fine, but now 16mnth is not settling well and is crying a lot when I leave her. When my husband is home he sits with her till she is fast asleep then its OK. But I can't do that when I'm on my own as I need to get 3.5yr old to bed otherwise he gets very overtired.
So what I'm doing is putting her down and then going in every five mins for a cuddle, in between 3.5yr jobs - teeth, story, milk iyswim. She normally is quiet after 3rd visit from me.

But I don't like to leave her to cry because she sounds really upset and I worry I'm making her stressed and anxious when she's going thru a separation anxiety phase. What do you all think? ANd do you have any other good ideas? Thanks!

BackforGood Wed 15-Jul-15 20:44:07

I used to put the baby to bed last. They generally sleep during the day so can cope.

HelenaJustina Wed 15-Jul-15 20:48:25

I think you are doing the right thing. At 16 months she is old enough to know that you are not gone forever, that it is night time etc
I would do the same as you, it is just a phase and she is settling fairly quickly really.
Is it worth looking at her daytime sleeps? Is it that she is not tired enough at bedtime? We knew we had to cut out DC2s lunchtime nap when she was sitting in her cot playing then shouting for me, for an hour before going to sleep!

Chumpster Thu 16-Jul-15 09:00:30

Thanks guys. I tried putting her to bed last but she wanders in and out and makes a fuss when i'm trying to put the 3.5yr old to bed, and he likes peace and quiet while he's having his milk and story otherwise he won't settle. I should probably work on him just being able to settle down regardless, but i'm taking the easy option in a way. Her sleep during the day varies from 1hr to 3hrs, she's not in a great routine because i'm always in and out picking up/dropping off the others. Thanks for the reassurance though, I think I'll wait and see if this phase passes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now