Talk

Advanced search

Pick up put down

(8 Posts)
writerwrites Tue 14-Jul-15 09:18:06

I've just started using PUPD for my 4 month old DS1's bedtime as feeding him to sleep was resulting in wakeups every hour for the last month. It seems to be working, though it took an hour last night and he really cried - felt awful. But he only woke up twice to be fed and went back to sleep quickly, so I'll persevere.

But his naps are a different thing altogether. He naps three or four times a day after max two hours awake time, but has always napped in the sling on me or DH. He screams if he goes in the pram and hates being but in his basket. My question is - should I be doing PUPD for naps too, to be consistent (I think it will be much much harder, but I don't want to confuse him) - or should we just wait until he's got the hang of it for nighttime and then introduce it in the day??

He's getting too big for the sling and my back's getting a bit ruined walking him for four hours a day... I always get him down for a nap in the right time - not overtired, and with a comforter and a story, so I don't know what else I could do to make it easier for him.

EducateTogetheralumnus Tue 14-Jul-15 09:20:45

I know you don't want to hear this. I really really know you don't want to hear this but if it's causing more angst during the day, I wouldn't. Four months is still really little. I slogged it out with DD2 until 6 months and then did a bit of sleep training and it worked overnight. well done on it working at night though - that might just flow into the day.

writerwrites Tue 14-Jul-15 11:05:33

Thanks so much for replying Educate - no, it's probably not what I was hoping for, but it is useful to know that perhaps it's a bit early to be pushing the daytime naps. I just didn't know if it would be confusing for him - one rule at night and another in the day, but maybe it's fine??! And - as you say - perhaps it'll flow into the day...

lozzy1982 Tue 14-Jul-15 21:44:56

Yes - my ds is also 4 months and i pupd everynight and for his morning nap. If i cant get out, in the pram in the afternoon, then i pudp. Tonight i did 1 pick up and it took 15 mins. U have to be consistant. Theres no point pupd on night, and rocking in the day etc. the younger u start, within reason ie (4 months) the better. Also, why is he waking twice in the night? Are u on a four hour routine? Formula or breast? If breast ok, if formula, are u on four hours and about 7oz?

lozzy1982 Tue 14-Jul-15 21:44:56

Yes - my ds is also 4 months and i pupd everynight and for his morning nap. If i cant get out, in the pram in the afternoon, then i pudp. Tonight i did 1 pick up and it took 15 mins. U have to be consistant. Theres no point pupd on night, and rocking in the day etc. the younger u start, within reason ie (4 months) the better. Also, why is he waking twice in the night? Are u on a four hour routine? Formula or breast? If breast ok, if formula, are u on four hours and about 7oz?

writerwrites Wed 15-Jul-15 13:02:09

Thanks lozzy - makes sense. We're still on a three hour routine still - ebf - he takes a full feed but that sort of schedule seems to be working for him.
Okay - I'll try bringing it into naps too. Think he doesn't sleep well in the sling anymore anyway - too many distractions and he's just too big... Not looking forward to it though - he doesn't really have a 'drowsy' state... But 15 mins and one pick up sounds good.

lozzy1982 Wed 15-Jul-15 14:33:06

Thats after 4 nights. I mean, im sure he will have bad ones again, even if u just try and do pupd for his morning nap as we do, and then maybe take him out in pram or car for afternoon nap at first. I would really consider the 4 hour routine. Have a look on the internet, its really worked u know. Have u read the baby whisperer? We pretty much follow EASY but tweek it for us. I didnt think ds would like moving his feeds an hour, but u know, we havent had any problems. Goodluck!! smile

lozzy1982 Wed 15-Jul-15 14:33:06

Thats after 4 nights. I mean, im sure he will have bad ones again, even if u just try and do pupd for his morning nap as we do, and then maybe take him out in pram or car for afternoon nap at first. I would really consider the 4 hour routine. Have a look on the internet, its really worked u know. Have u read the baby whisperer? We pretty much follow EASY but tweek it for us. I didnt think ds would like moving his feeds an hour, but u know, we havent had any problems. Goodluck!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now