Talk

Advanced search

17 month naps and early wakings

(6 Posts)
Deduct37 Sat 11-Jul-15 11:36:30

My17 month olds naps are awful, always have been. She was completely refusing her afternoon nap so we decided she must be ready for 1. Some days she would nap 9-9.45 and have absolutely nothing else until bedtime which had to be brought forward til 6. We tried to settle for a lunchtime nap which seemed to be the 'norm' which she can stay awake for pretty well, but the length of her naps is terrible. She often wakes after 30 minutes, 45, 1 hour and this can go on for the duration of the nap. Some days she will only have 45 minutes regardless how much we try to get her back to sleep.
We have tried naps at different times of the day (from 10 until 12ish) but we are faced with similar problems. It makes no difference if she's in the car, pram, cot or lying next to me.
She hasn't been falling asleep until between 6.30 and 7.00 the last few nights, is having more night wakings which she hasn't done for months and is waking anywhere from 5 to get up. We treat it as a night waking and she will sometimes go back to sleep but sometimes won't. She is not allowed out of her cot until 6am at the earliest. She can self settle and has done from an early age.
When she gets up so early she is clingy and wingey all morning. I've tried putting her down earlier but she refuses, ends up falling asleep around 8.30/9 then won't always take a second nap. I really don't know what to try next. Has anyone else been faced with similar problems? And how did you overcome them? Any advice would be appreciated

FATEdestiny Sat 11-Jul-15 21:52:01

The problem with self settling is that you have no sleep prop in use that triggers sleep. When I would give my children their dummy and comfort toy for example, they would immediately go into 'sleep mode', regardless of the time because these things were only ever associated with going to sleep. Have you anything you use like that?

Historically, how did you used to get her to sleep as a baby? Were you feeding to sleep or did she cry down to sleep?

Deduct37 Sun 12-Jul-15 08:00:15

Hello, she has a dummy for naps and bedtime but doesn't always need it.
I breastfed her until 4 months so just fed and slept when needed. At 4 months we started sleep training, took away her dummy and used control crying to stop the multiple wakes. This worked through night but not early morning or with naps. When she was teething she started having her dummy again

fruitpastille Sun 12-Jul-15 08:22:45

My 16 month old is also lately waking at 5. There is no way she will go back to sleep so we take it in turns to get up with her. Then I try to keep her going till a v early lunch (before 11 sometimes!) so she has a good nap afterwards as she is so tired. I put her in grobag/cot at home as she sleeps longer there. Out and about it is buggy or carseat. I make sure she has a dummy in plus spare in her hand. I think she sleeps better if she has a good lunch but maybe nothing to do with that!

Needsweetstosurvive Sun 12-Jul-15 08:50:03

Another 15mo waking between 5 and 5.30am. Been doing it for about a month now. Nap 10.45 until 12.45, asleep by 7pm. Self settles for bedtime but can still wake up to a couple of times. I can sometimes get him back to sleep at the 5am waking but can take up to half an hour and then usually wakes 10 mins later! They will grow out of it usually when napping stops in the day.

Deduct37 Sun 12-Jul-15 12:48:17

I could cope with early mornings if she was actually ready to get up but she isn't because she is cranky shortly after getting up.
And it's the nap length I'm trying to suss out. Like today, she got up at 5.45 after a restless night, fell asleep at 11.50, woke screaming at 12.30 but has actually gone back over. I can't seem to get her to have a long restful nap then it has an impact on her night sleep

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now