Talk

Advanced search

Hold my hand please?

(25 Posts)
TwigletFiend Thu 09-Jul-15 21:57:23

DD is 8 months old and has never slept well. I am back at work in a couple of weeks and have made the decision to sleep train as there is no way I will manage on current co sleeping with multiple wake ups schedule. Had a crack at it two nights ago and total failure, she screamed until she was sick and was utterly hysterical, I was in tears, aborted the attempt and took her to bed with me as usual.

Trying again tonight. Had better nap schedule today with three naps of roughly 1 hour, bedtime routine done by 7:30 and she was asleep by 8:30.

She is still asleep but I am dreading the wake ups tonight sad It has to be done for all our sakes really but I am so nervous and worried! So basically I just want a bit of hand holding in case of disaster again tonight!

BearFoxBear Thu 09-Jul-15 22:16:01

I won't be awake much longer to hand hold, but hope it's easier tonight.

What I would say though is that my 12 month old ds couldn't possibly stay awake until 7.30 - he was asleep by 6.25 to tonight, but normally he goes to bed at 7 at the latest and goes straight to sleep. Do you think she might be overtired?

My did cc for all of 3 nights before ds could be put down and asleep, but he's always had an early bedtime. That might be worth looking at.

ToonLass Thu 09-Jul-15 22:59:00

I'll be popping in on and off tonight -I also have an 8 month old
Who wakes frequently! sad.

Hope you have better success tonight x

TwigletFiend Fri 10-Jul-15 02:08:46

Thanks both! Bear, normally I will be aiming for 7 now as had the same thought, DP took her to his parents this evening and was late bringing her home! I definitely think that hS been part of the problem.

Toon, hope you're getting some sleep! DD actually awake for the first time now, so giving her a feed then going to pop her back down. Eek!

TwigletFiend Fri 10-Jul-15 03:24:53

Just had another wake up but rocked her back off. Back in cot so hopefully will stay that way!

BeverlyGoldberg Fri 10-Jul-15 03:41:25

Well done. I hope it lasts for you.

My DD is 3 months and I've just woke up because I couldn't hear her breathing but she's fine. The things we go through!

WishUponAStar88 Fri 10-Jul-15 04:08:10

Well done twiglet it's bloody tough work but you're doing well smile I did fairly toned down sleep training with my 9mo dd a few weeks and she has gone from waking 4/5 times to once or twice in 12 hours. You're doing fab - as ever, this too will pass!!

TwigletFiend Fri 10-Jul-15 04:48:04

She had been sleeping but DP had set his alarm for 4:30 which blared at full volume and made her cry and now rocking not cutting it so nursing again. He was supposed to be sleeping on the sofa if he had to get up early. I am going to kill him. Quietly.

littlehouseinthebigwoods Fri 10-Jul-15 04:57:13

Grrrrr!! On the plus side, making it to 4.30 without nursing is a huge achievement. So it can only better. I'm up with my 2.8yo dd. She's been wide awake since 3.30. If you can get sleep sorted now, do!!

ToonLass Fri 10-Jul-15 08:50:11

Well done, doesn't sound disastrous!

My LO work at 9.30 - tried to withhold boob but gave in at 10.20. She then woke up at 0145, 0430 (both times I fed her) and then she woke at 0600. I brought her into my bed and she then slept till 0700. And that's actually quite a good night for us!!

You are not alone, and this will pass!!

X

BearFoxBear Fri 10-Jul-15 09:03:52

Doesn't sound like it was a disaster smile

I always find that if ds doesn't get to bed at the right time then he's really restless and wakes throughout the night, whereas last night he was sound from before 6.30,woke at 5.45, had milk, then straight back to sleep until 7. It's odd, but it seems to work.

ToonLass Fri 10-Jul-15 17:41:36

Hope things go well tonight OP x

TwigletFiend Fri 10-Jul-15 22:01:30

Thanks Toon, naps not so good today and on third wake up already so think it might be a tough one tonight! Hope everyone else has sleepy babies x

ToonLass Fri 10-Jul-15 22:10:33

I currently have my DD in beside me...so not great here either!

TwigletFiend Fri 10-Jul-15 23:48:52

Awake again here, number five so far! sad

ToonLass Sat 11-Jul-15 03:28:02

Are you doing CC for wake ups too, or just for night time setting? X

lexyloub Sat 11-Jul-15 03:34:31

Have you tried her with a dummy to see if she'll settle with that rather than you feeding to sleep unless she's hungry then a dummy won't do

TwigletFiend Sat 11-Jul-15 07:18:15

I had done CC just for settling but she went down the first time ok. She was then awake roughly every hour all night, including a 90 minute stretch just after midnight when she was thrashing in her cot and just couldn't seem to drop off despite being sleepy and quiet between the thrashing spells. Feeling like a failure again this morning.

Maybe I should try the CC for wake ups too? I cannot survive much longer with so many wakings in the night. I need her to sleep for longer! She won't take a dummy, have tried a number of sizes and shapes but she just spits them out.

ToonLass Sat 11-Jul-15 12:13:39

There's a thread from a while back, search for 'what worked for us'. It's a more gentle approach and is well explained. I might give it a go soon, I'm in a similar situation in that DD needs to suck to sleep but refuses all dummies and won't take a bottle. Last night she was up for 90 mins too seeming very uncomfortable so I gave her some gripe water and it calmed her down.

I feel for you, sleep deprivation is awful and I sometimes think it makes me a grumpy impatient mummy sad

TwigletFiend Mon 13-Jul-15 01:57:07

Just thought I'd check in again if anyone is still here.

DD been awake screaming for 2 hours. She's screamed herself hoarse sad I am on the verge of tears again and don't know what to do.

ToonLass Mon 13-Jul-15 05:55:43

How did the rest of the night go? Did you have a look at that other post? X

TwigletFiend Mon 13-Jul-15 07:05:55

Yes I did thanks, I have tried sitting in with her and patting/rubbing/keeping a hand on her belly but it doesn't seem to influence the process at all. I do much prefer it though as I worry about her feeling abandoned, so I will persevere.

Once she went back off she slept 2-5:15 so not too bad I guess, just hooked her into bed with me at that point and dozed for another hour as was a bit desperate for sleep!

How is your DDs sleep at the moment? Hope you're making bigger strides than us! X

ToonLass Mon 13-Jul-15 09:20:42

We've not started any training yet - building myself up to it! She's cut 3 teeth in the last week though so don't want to do it while she's obviously teething.

Last night she was asleep for 7 and up for a feed at 11, 2, 4 & 6. At 6 I took her into bed with us and she slept till 7.45. She had a few disturbances before 11 too.

Currently fighting with her to go down for a nap confused

TwigletFiend Mon 13-Jul-15 21:58:57

I have decided I can't face any more of the training, it's just so miserable and I think I'm more tired than I was feeding her every waking because it takes ages to get her back off to sleep and she's still waking just as much.

Going to try just giving her comfort and boob whenever she wants it tonight and hope that she drops back off quickly and I can get some good sleep at last!

ToonLass Mon 13-Jul-15 22:06:51

I guess they will sleep through the night eventually.

I was speaking to my papa on the phone tonight, he said "you have no idea how quickly the years go by, before you know it you'll have grandkids and great grandkids and you won't even remember how they all slept".

He's always good at putting things into perspective for me smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now