Talk

Advanced search

15 month old wakes 3/4 times a night..tried everything!!!

(4 Posts)
BelleBoyd Wed 08-Jul-15 09:43:56

Posted recently about this. My 15 month old wakes 3 or 4 times a night. He drinks and eats ok and is very active during the day.
He goes to sleep on his own fine ( after sorting with CC ) but still after 2 weeks of just offering water and a couple of times nothing he is waking every 2 to 4 hours. He's exhausted all day and desperate for sleep pretty much all day unless distracted.
I'm at my wits end with it and he seems so tired it's really upsetting. It's also really hard on my older DD as she gets very little attention due to DS being constantly upset.
I've read that after a few nights of just offering water or going cold turkey they should self settle but he hasn't in 2 weeks! He isn't ill or teething and has a comfort blanket. He's not too cold/hot and wakes all night so it isn't the light. It's not developmental as he's being walking since 10 months.
I just don't know what to do next. I'm exhausted and so is he and I feel bad for him being so tired and my DD being basically neglected as a result.

lexyloub Wed 08-Jul-15 13:02:29

Try get him to sleep more during the day if he's ratty it could be he's over tired and not being able to settle into a deeper sleep

FraterculaArctica Wed 08-Jul-15 13:35:26

Now it's a bit cooler, it might be worth persevering with cutting out water too? - it might take more than two nights of this. I was very sceptical that night weaning would make any difference to DS's sleep (we night weaned very slowly, cutting feeds out altogether around 12 months) but it did... he started sleeping through at least sometimes from 8 pm to 5 am ish. He's now the same age as your DS and still not great (doesn't sleep through consistently, wakes early, bedtimes and naptimes are still a battle) but is 100 times better than he was.

What gets your DS back to sleep when he wakes? What does he do - is it full on screaming?

BelleBoyd Thu 09-Jul-15 08:44:06

Yes it's full on straight away screaming and only a bottle of water (or milk but stopped that now )will settle him. I've tried comforting him but he gets really angry! He woke at 11,2 and 4 last night which is fairly typical. He's exhausted again this morning.
I was tempted to let him cry it out last night but his sister gets so upset when he cries( for a long time..) which it would be. Plus I feel bad for the neighbours with him screaming potentially all night!
I've read that if they self settle to go to sleep they should eventually self settle during the night but I can't see that happening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now