Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Six month old won't be put down

(11 Posts)
TeddyBear2015 Tue 07-Jul-15 20:32:01

Hi guys, I've got a 6mth old who refuses to be put down in his cot, pushchair, floor etc even when asleep.

I've been spoilt up until now as previously he has slept really well at night only waking up three or four times. Now however he has to be held whilst asleep or else he screams like he's been hurt. Whilst I love him dearly I need more than a few minutes here and there whilst I drop off holding him. I'm terrified of dropping him!

What's worse is I'm now so tired I'm afraid to drive as I nearly dropped off going to the shops! I need to know how to get him to sleep so I can sleep too. The day isn't a problem as I can play all day and hold him if he falls asleep. The problem is he's still ebf and this means it's all on me.confused

Any advice would be brilliant xxx

TeddyBear2015 Tue 07-Jul-15 20:33:56

Ps. Someone told me that the reason he's feeding weird (he starts then pulls away to cry then attacks again and pulls away, we go like this for hours) is because of my periods and it making his milk taste funny. Is this right?

Jo4040 Tue 07-Jul-15 20:34:55

Have you tried a sling, or us he getting too big?

lovelyleftrubbishright Tue 07-Jul-15 20:46:26

It could be the 6 month growth spurt.

TeddyBear2015 Tue 07-Jul-15 21:18:52

Can I wear a sling all night? He's never been in one (we had one given to us but I don't know how to use it really) but I'm willing to try. He's just moved up into 3-6 clothes so he's not the biggest baby around but he's 16lb so a solid lad grin I can handle holding him all day and if I'm in the room and he's playing he's fine. It's just night time I'm struggling with and if I have to leave the room at all.

Springtimemama Tue 07-Jul-15 21:43:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FATEdestiny Tue 07-Jul-15 21:47:54

Assuming this is a new thing (and he's not needed to be held to sleep from being tiny) then I would think it is to do with being over-tired and/or hunger.

Early weaning is a tricky time because baby needs more calories as they grow, but early weaning foods (like a few spoons of fruit or veg puree, baby rice or porridge for example) are not giving baby enough calories. Especially so if these lower calorie options are replacing higher calorie milk feeds.

Once baby is on three full meals (with puddings!) and snacks, as well as milk - then things might improve. In the mean time keep giving baby as much milk feeds as possible, feed as often and for as long as possible and ensure baby gets plenty of daytime sleep.

TeddyBear2015 Tue 07-Jul-15 22:33:04

FATEdestiny he's never slept in the day for more than maybe two 20min naps if I'm lucky and that's being held. The night thing is new but the erratic feeding has always happened when I get my period (they started at two months even though I'm ebf) which led me to ask because the hv said it taints the milk and makes it taste different.

We are weaning now he's six months but he gets his milk first and then his food afterwards because I need to know he's actually full and it's hard to gauge how much food he has down his front as well as in his mouth grin. I might try having a couple of days in the house not doing anything as the play schedule we have is a bit busy. However this has been the case since he was about four weeks old so I've not changed his routine. Hopefully it's a phase and he will go back to just needing me every couple of hours. It's hard on others though as my mil has him on a Wednesday night (we have baptism preparation so I can't cancel) and currently if I even leave the room he screams and cries real tears so it'll be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.

Thank you for the advice/mutual feelings xxx

Springtimemama Tue 07-Jul-15 22:36:41

TeddyBear2015 Wed 08-Jul-15 00:36:03

I'll try. I sometimes get to this time of night and think "you've been away 19 straight hours you'll fall asleep soon!" Because I can't stay up this late but he's currently destroying his cot and talking to himself. We've tried taking him out etc but the car makes him crazy and the time of night means I can't go out with the pram.

I hate the night. It makes me wish I'd not had a baby confused it makes me feel like I'm a horrid useless parent because I can't do anything and I cry as much as he does

Springtimemama Wed 08-Jul-15 18:02:36

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now