Talk

Advanced search

Someone tell me what to do :-(

(12 Posts)
zombiemeow Tue 07-Jul-15 06:29:30

My 7 mo just hates sleep.

He slept really well by about 12 weeks, sleeping from around 8 - 7 with two feeds imbetween and really good at self settling, then came the 4 month sleep regression.

It slowly started to get better. Now it's got worse.

During the day he fights naps. It usually takes around an hour to get him to sleep by holding him. He will fight it until he's crazy over tired pulling his hair and scratching his face.

Night time usually takes around 2 hours. Then the moment I put him in his cot he's wide awake and then I have to hold him for about another 30 mins until he's back to sleep.

During the night he wakes up around every hour crying for his dummy. He'll get it then pull it out, chuck it out the cot and it starts again. When he cries for his dummy if I don't get up the stairs quick enough he's wide awake again. He has one feed in the night then it's crying on and off until around 5/5.30 when he wakes up.

I have tried everything. I have tried putting him down and cc, holding him to sleep, feeding him, giving him water, routine, no routine. I just don't know what to do anymore hmm I'm exhausted. Can't ask for help at night from my husband as he just will not settle at all for him.

I'm sick of people telling me 'he'll sleep through when he starts solids/moving' etc.

Solids have made no difference. Although the amount he has has been affected by this as he usually gets so overtired and it takes so long to get him to sleep he's too tired to really have solids.

Someone tell me it gets better? Or at least I'm not alone with this hmm

Mamab33 Tue 07-Jul-15 06:36:25

You are not alone. If anything solids sometimes unsettle them more as their little systems adjust.

mariloulou Tue 07-Jul-15 07:37:52

Zombie your definitely not alone. My DD is almost 6 months and her sleeping went down the pan at 3.5months. Nothing works here either. She does EXACTLY the same thing with the dummy.... I swear I nearly chucked it out the window last night. Im beyond the exhausted point and so down about it all. Last night was absolutely horrific... im sorry I can't offer advice, im not sure there are any answers anymore.... ive rode it out as much as I can. Now im at a loss.
your not alone flowers

zombiemeow Tue 07-Jul-15 07:47:42

Thanks both.

Mari you sound as fed up as me hmm it's good to know I'm not alone though. I keep hearing all these people going on about how their babies sleep through, mine never has! I don't mind getting up to feed him but this is ridiculous shock I actually cried at around 4.30 this morning as I was so tired!

I just hope it improves... And bloody soon!

mariloulou Tue 07-Jul-15 08:04:32

Bless you. I too had a sob at 3.15am! After... I can't even remember what waking it was. The whole night seems a blur. But it seems like she was constantly awake. Nap times are crap too. She won't sleep anywhere bit the car seat/pushchair and only for 30-45mins.

you say you tried cc? How long for? What happened - this is my last resort.. I don't want to so it but im desperate now. Feel like im falling apart!

There Is a major thread here about the 4 month regression. All have similar problems, have you seen it? If anything its reassuring to know your not alone.

im going to call HV today

mariloulou Tue 07-Jul-15 08:09:26

Oh and my DD is on solids, it clearly hasn't made a difference! The nights seem to be so sporadic. Might have a really good night then a horrendously bad one.

im moving her into her own room next week. Got to try everything! And I think the dummy will have to go. Im sure its doing more bad than good.

zombiemeow Tue 07-Jul-15 08:17:21

I tried it for around 3 weeks, I don't even know if that was long enough but it made no difference at all. He would just wriggle around his cot and when he got very over tired would start crying. But he just didn't stop, even if I patted and shushed him, even if I was sat right next to him and I didn't want to leave him for ages crying. It would go on for hours. I didn't want to do it, it was a last resort.hmm

I have seen the 4 month one. I didn't read it as I thought it would be younger babies, ds is 7mo. But thinking of it maybe there's people on there that haven't got over it still. Will go and have a read smile

mariloulou Tue 07-Jul-15 08:31:00

Yeah it seems this regression can go on for months sad come join us over there

MoominaMama Tue 07-Jul-15 09:47:09

My sympathies! My DS has always been a bad sleeper and I can totally relate to the randomness of relatively good nights versus awful nights and never knowing what is coming.

If it helps at all .. DS has just turned 10 months and started to be much more active with crawling/cruising and has started sleeping 12 solid hours at night through sheer exhaustion. Nothing I have done has made this happen .. it just did! His ability to move around makes getting him to sleep harder .. but once asleep he is dead to the world.

Another thought ... are yiu sure there is no pain involved here? What you describe (with dummy throwing away too) is exactly how DS acts when teething and nothing will settle him! He did also go through a particularly rough patch at the start of weaning whilst his tummy got used to it.

I dont know what to suggest really. Eventuallu I just decided to roll with it. When we had a bad night I would try not to get too down about it, and I would really appreciate a good one. All with the hope that one day something would click in him .. which it has. I may just be incredibly lucky though. By no means do I expect this to be it either. I fully expect to continue to have some bad nights and for him not to sleep through all the time.

marinerkk Tue 07-Jul-15 09:54:49

We are going through the 9month sleep regression, he was previously sleeping pretty well. Put it down to teeth and the heat. So now he'll have a bit of teething gel or Calpol before bed, got a fan on in his room and put a blanket over him. A week later it's slightly better. Seems to like being cold and wrapped up rather than just in a nappy. You're not alone. X

zombiemeow Tue 07-Jul-15 11:37:35

Thank you.

It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one going through it so hopefully it will get better!

I thought teething, he's been drooling like someone

zombiemeow Tue 07-Jul-15 11:39:20

Posted too soon!

It's like someone has turned a tap on in his mouth! Teething gel doesn't seem to work, calpol does sometimes but not others.confused

He's on his second nap of the day already. He usually only has 3 but he's worn out from being up all night.

Am still reading through the other sleep regression thread, may take me some time! Might place mark!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now