Talk

Advanced search

Leaving window open at night?

(23 Posts)
LittleLady101 Wed 01-Jul-15 22:53:38

Hey, not sure if anyone else is having the same problem or if I'm just being completly paranoid.

I just put my daughter to bed and checked the thermometer on the baby monitor and it's reading 26 degrees instead of it's normal 22-23. I'm really worried that she's going to get to hot in her sleep, I checked on her a moment a go and she's a bit sweaty, she's in a long sleeved vest and sleeping bag which I've unzipped half way down but I'm worried that she will still be too hot. Do you think it would be alright to leave a window open? Or would she get cold in the night?

Please any suggestions?

Theoldcauliflower Wed 01-Jul-15 22:55:41

Take her out of the sleeping bag, if she wakes up I'd take the vest off its boiling

Theoldcauliflower Wed 01-Jul-15 22:56:31

She wil soon cry if she's cold op

DragonsCanHop Wed 01-Jul-15 22:56:35

How old is she?

Many years ago I left mine in a nappy with a sheet all tucked in at the bottom and loose around baby.

We all sleep with our windows open here.

Baby will let you know if they wake up cold.

Fugghetaboutit Wed 01-Jul-15 22:56:36

That sounds like too many layers.

My ds is in his nappy with a fan on as it's boiling.

Better to be too cool than too hot. I'm always scared of febrile seizures tbh. I would take her out of sleeping bag.

Hairylegs007 Wed 01-Jul-15 22:57:43

She just needs to be in a nappy with a sheet

Hobbes8 Wed 01-Jul-15 22:58:46

How old is she? It's safer for babies to be too cold than too hot (with the exception of being so cold they get hypothermia, but that won't happen in a house in summer).

Mine is just in a nappy tonight, but she's 18m. If she gets cold she'll wake up and cry, and I can get a blanket, but she gets febrile convusions if she overheats.

Lottiedoubtie Wed 01-Jul-15 22:58:55

my 9 month old is on living room floor (coolest room) in just a nappy atm!

Hairylegs007 Wed 01-Jul-15 22:58:58

No vest and no baby grow. All mine are in nappies laying on top of the sheets

Hairylegs007 Wed 01-Jul-15 22:59:36

Much more serious to be too hot.

Hobbes8 Wed 01-Jul-15 23:00:14

Sorry that was a bit alarmist! She is prone to convulsions when she has a high fever due to illness, not just because its a hot day.

Still better to be too cool than too hot though. I'd remove layers and/or sleeping bag.

SueGeneris Wed 01-Jul-15 23:00:43

Yep, I'd take the sleeping bag off and open a window. If necessary tuck a sheet over her legs but she may be too hot at 26 degrees even just half in the sleeping bag.

GiddyOnZackHunt Wed 01-Jul-15 23:01:13

If she's unlikely to take her nappy off then it is warm enough for just a nappy tonight. If she might whip her nappy off the the thinnest vest she has.

mamalovebird Wed 01-Jul-15 23:03:42

28.5 here. DD (2 yrs) is just in a nappy with an empty duvet cover. DS just in pyjama shorts and the same covers. Fan just switched off so I've left the windows slightly open too but we have a safety latch which locks them when keeping them a few centimetres open.

museumum Wed 01-Jul-15 23:06:57

Why wouldn't you open a window? We always do.
Ds is in a sleeping bag as he struggles to sleep with his legs free but the windows are wide open to cool the room.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Wed 01-Jul-15 23:09:08

Mine is just in a vest with the window open and a fan on in her room, it was 30 degrees when I put her to bed! I figured she'll cry if she gets cold and I can go in and add layers/switch fan off/close window as appropriate.

Angelik Wed 01-Jul-15 23:10:04

far too hot for anything other than nappy and maybe one cotton sheet.

my contrary ds age 5, however, insisted on shorts/t-shirt - goodness know why.

dd aged 2.5 is neked! having been dry over night for a couple of months now we are tempting the wee god by not putting on a nappy but I think small price to pay to keep her comfy especially as her long hair is making her sweaty.

ColdCottage Wed 01-Jul-15 23:14:04

24 degrees here and DS 14 months is just in a long sleeved footless sleep suit. Agree better too cold than too hot. They will tell you if they are cold.

CaurnieBred Wed 01-Jul-15 23:29:44

When DD was under a year old we had a similar heatwave. She was in her cot, wearing just a nappy, covered with a damp muslin and a fan on but the room temp was 32 degrees. It was awful and she woke up really unhappy through the night. I ended up sending DH up the loft to grab the travel cot and we set that up in the living room as it was much cooler downstairs. She was much happier then.

Springtimemama Wed 01-Jul-15 23:33:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Springtimemama Wed 01-Jul-15 23:33:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PerspicaciaTick Wed 01-Jul-15 23:46:14

Why are there so few replies saying "Yes, open the window". In this weather I'd have thought any air movement would be a good thing?

LittleLady101 Thu 02-Jul-15 07:35:52

Thanks for the Info guys sorry I didn't reply as was so tired I completly forgot!

In the end I did open the window and inziped her sleeping bag all the way will her legs out so she was basically just lying on top of it. And when I checked on her in the night she was nice and cool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now