Talk

Advanced search

14 month old screaming for up to 2 hours at night, help please!

(7 Posts)
Iamnotanugget Sun 28-Jun-15 08:51:11

My ds is 14 months old and usually has a breastfeed at bedtime and one in the night. He often wakes one other time but can be settled quickly with a cuddle. During this last week he has started waking 2-3 times each night and having a full blown melt down, crying and screaming. He doesn't want to be held or stroked, sometimes he will feed but as soon as he's done he screams again. He stands in his cot raging while I sit next to him trying to soothe him, if I dare leave the room he gets even worse. These episodes last between 45-120 minutes then he'll suddenly lay down exhausted and go to sleep. I am finding it very stressful and I have 2 other children to look after and the lack of sleep is taking its toll. I don't think it's night terrors as he is aware of me being there. I don't want to cio and I can't cc as I am unable to soothe and reassure him, and it doesn't really sit comfortably with me. I was google-ing sleep consultants at 4:40 this morning but thought I'd see if anyone here could offer advice!

MrsAukerman Sun 28-Jun-15 08:54:02

Could he be in pain?

Iamnotanugget Sun 28-Jun-15 09:03:11

I have considered that but he's fine all day and would have thought that anything that hurts that much would hurt in the day too.

Needsweetstosurvive Sun 28-Jun-15 11:10:17

Just to let you know I have been going through this with my 14mo too, it's being going on for just over 4 weeks now and also included getting up for the day between 4.30 and 5.30am! Almost identical situation including the not being able to comfort even though it's worked in the past. The only difference being that although he still has a breastfeed at bedtime he doesn't have one in the night. It's strange as he cries if I leave but seems irritated if I try to comfort him - pushing my hand away then trying to grab it again. It has just started getting better the last two nights but I'm not holding my breath! With us I think it's been a combination of teething, ear infection (has been on antibiotics for the last two days and sleep has improved since starting them) and there is also a developmental phase around this age - he has been talking a lot in his sleep, his language is coming on leaps and bounds. We are just riding it out, it is very hard though and I have a 6yr old too so I know what it's like to deal with rough nights then have to be Mum in the day! Hang in there, sorry no proper advice!

Iamnotanugget Sun 28-Jun-15 14:29:24

Thank you need sometimes it's just nice to know I'm not the only one suffering wink Apart from the fact that it's killing me I feel awful for ds that he's getting so upset and I'm doing nothing about it. I'm sure it'll pass eventually for us both.

Rinkydinkypink Sun 28-Jun-15 14:37:57

Id put it down to teeth or night terrors. I think it was around this time that we gave dd meds before bedtime and for a short while during the night as well.

Rinkydinkypink Sun 28-Jun-15 14:39:01

I also get it btw. We have an 8 year old and 2 year old. It's exhausting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now