Talk

Advanced search

Brothers (toddler & baby) sharing a bedroom

(11 Posts)
Haily111 Sat 27-Jun-15 14:52:59

Hello,
I wondered if anyone has any experiences in siblings sharing a bedroom.
DS1 has just turned 2 and he is in a toddler bed (with both sides up) DS2 is 9 weeks and currently in our room. I am wondering if it is worth moving them into the same room sooner or if i should wait til DS2 is slightly older? x

FATEdestiny Sat 27-Jun-15 22:41:20

Your baby should stay in your bedroom until 6 months old, for SIDS recommendations.

Haily111 Sun 28-Jun-15 08:25:58

Thank you for your reply. Does that recommendation include sharing with sibling or is it only when baby is in own room. I thought it was due to hearing regular breathing, which he would if he was in with his brother x

Needsweetstosurvive Sun 28-Jun-15 08:32:10

I think it is to do with a mother's instinct and also the fact that if there were a problem, you would know. If your baby stops breathing or gets stuck on tummy or something your toddler won't be able to help.

Cliffdiver Sun 28-Jun-15 08:35:40

Agree with above that you should not move baby DS out of your room until he is at least 6 months.

Re sharing a room, I would assess it nearer the time. DD2 has always been a pretty appalling sleeper, and it is only within the last week, at 15mo that we moved her in with DD1.

Haily111 Sun 28-Jun-15 08:42:24

Thank you for your replies. He will stay in our room then xx

Aciderwouldbenice Sun 28-Jun-15 08:45:18

I am planning to do this, my two sleep in our room at the moment (husband works away and I like them close) but planning to move them both into a room together over the summer. They are almost 3 and 9 months

bobajob Sun 28-Jun-15 08:55:29

I moved DS2 in with DS1 when they were 3 months and 3.10. It's worked really well but DS1 is a very heavy sleeper, falls asleep in moments and can sleep through anything! He has never been woken by DS2 in the night even when he's really been screaming grin

I have always put DS2 to bed first and then DS1 half an hour later so DS2 is asleep.

The only thing you have to be aware of is whether your older child is likely to try to climb into the cot, give the baby unsuitable toys or try to pick him up. Luckily DS1 was fairly sensible, and DS2 would wake up for a feed about 4-5am and come in with me, so DS1 wasn't awake and alone with him in the mornings.

ApocalypseNowt Sun 28-Jun-15 09:47:30

We moved DD2 (when she was 3 months) into DD1's room (2.3yo). DD2 had outgrown her moses basket and we can't fit a cot in our room.

It was fine - I know 6 months is the recommended age but that's not always possible. DD1 couldn't reach DD1 in her cot so there was no danger there. I think DC get used to what ever they have to/is the norm. It worked for us.

Haily111 Sun 28-Jun-15 15:38:01

Our DS1 cant get to DS2 as he is still in a cot with sides up. I just thought it might be better for them both to get used to it now, rather than 4 months time x

weebairn Sun 28-Jun-15 21:01:19

Moved my girls in together when they were 2.5 and 6 months old (maybe it was a little earlier)

My toddler sleeps through and is a very heavy sleeper so we've done quite well with it even though baby still wakes 3 times a night or so.

I love that they share.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now