Talk

Advanced search

Must stop cosleeping and BF - help!!

(10 Posts)
reb82 Tue 23-Jun-15 22:11:43

My little boy is 13 months old and I'm in early stage diagnosis of lymphoma or thyroid cancer (awaiting official biopsy results).

I love feeding my LB to sleep and snugglingwith him, but I won't be able to BF once treatment starts in a few weeks and I'll need all the rest and bed space I can get. I also think stopping BF will be harder if he's still in my bed.

So I'm looking for advice on how to as gently as I can get him in the cot, preferably in his own room, and off my boob.

Kennington Tue 23-Jun-15 22:15:42

So sorry about your cancer diagnosis
Try a NUK teat bottle from Amazon - they have a similar flow to breasts so baby less likely to reject, also get him to still have skin contact while taking milk from a bottle. Stopping BF seemed hellish at the time but in hindsight it was all over in a couple of weeks.

reb82 Wed 24-Jun-15 19:49:16

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to avoid bottles as he's already 13 months but perhaps it would be a good idea. Just cows' milk?

StupidBloodyKindle Wed 24-Jun-15 19:52:48

So sorry to hear that Reb. Try warmed cows milk in a bottle or cup. But as an ebf cosleeping mum of three, I think giving him to a relative to do cold turkey for a week might be needed, if you are strong enough. Do you have someone else to cosleep/get up with him in thecmeantime? brew cake flowers

StupidBloodyKindle Wed 24-Jun-15 19:54:54

Sleeping bag outfit? cuddly toy smelling of you in the cot? blackout curtains?

captainproton Wed 24-Jun-15 19:58:16

Sorry to hear that you are going through this reb82. I had to do similar with my 11 month old when I had pneumonia. DH gave him formula in a sippy cup, which he was familiar with for his water anyway. And yes I believe a lot of CC was undertaken to get DS to sleep in a cot, although we found it easier when we put his cot in a room with a sibling as he was less frightened.

StupidBloodyKindle Wed 24-Jun-15 19:59:17

And oh bless, you need to start now, if you have only got a few weeks as, unless you are doing the cold turkey method, it might take a few weeks. Some put plasters on their nipples or no nail biting liquid but I think that is worse than him going to an Aunt for a long weekend tbh.

StupidBloodyKindle Wed 24-Jun-15 20:01:56

If feeding to sleep, warm milk in a cup then a dummy? If dream feeding then a few nights without might trigger sleeping straight through. shamrock

reb82 Wed 24-Jun-15 20:07:55

At the moment he is fed to sleep and then given more boob when he wakes up.

I probably have a full month at least before anything will be done.

His dad works away all week so it's just us Monday to Friday. I don't really have anyone nearby who can do cold turkey for me.

I need to start soon to minimise the tears. I hate the thought of leaving him to cry. Especially now.

StupidBloodyKindle Fri 26-Jun-15 12:15:58

Bumping for you. Totally understand about you not wanting him to cry but it is short term and once sleeping alone/learnt how to get back to sleep/fall asleep without boob, he might be better rested. Hugs xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now