Talk

Advanced search

2 year old still waking in night for milk

(4 Posts)
Cjp23 Mon 22-Jun-15 08:50:56

I think I was fooling myself that this was not an issue, but as due date for baby no 2 nears, I think we have to tackle dd sleep. She goes to sleep fine after having a beaker of cows milk. However she often wakes at least twice crying for more milk. Normal times for waking are 11:30 and 02:30. She will take a big glug of milk and settle back down really quickly. I never used to mind it as she did settle quickly, but I'm finding it tough at the moment. I was hoping it was a phase that would pass (she does sleep through the night, but only about once every three weeks) but I don't think it will pass without some tough nights of crying it out. I am also concerned that not giving her milk will just be replaced by us giving her cuddles!
Anyone who has any advice please help!

ilovehotsauce Mon 22-Jun-15 09:03:10

No advice but watching, my 20month DD is pretty much the same.

Artandco Mon 22-Jun-15 09:06:36

You need to just go no milk.

Don't let her associate milk with bedtime. In the evening let her have milk in a cup downstairs before the bedtime routine so de doesn't think of milk equalling bed. Then do bedtime routine with no milk. When she wakes only offer water from a beaker next to bed so she can help herself to.

Does she still sleep in a baby cot? If she I would swap to sides off or a bed so she can get water herself from next to bed if she wants ( and will need to use toilet soon also)

Christelle2207 Mon 22-Jun-15 09:08:49

We managed to nip this in the bud at about 18 months. We literally went cold turkey, offered him a cup of water but no milk. Brought him into bed with us to reassure him. It was one difficult night but just one! Four months on he has not wanted milk in the night since (He still wakes wanting a cuddle, but less frequently).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now